Crack-less bath bomb makers.....a ? for you

asheebeans

I never had so many problems with bath bombs before! It is freaking ridiculous! I am toying with the possibility that one of my issues is the packing of the bomb mixture....so just wondering if any of you crack-less bath bomb queens out there can tell me what kind of pressure you use on these things? (p.s. I am using meatballers and ornaments, no luck on either) Thanks in advance!

For the meatballer I just use a medium pressure. I scoop up a lot of mixture between the 2 halves, leaving the halves about an inch apart. I don't pack anything down, it's just 'loose'. With my other hand I remove about 1/2 of the mix between the 2 halves (so it looks like a thin pillar of mix between - think of an egg timer sort shape with the meatballer halves on both ends and some mix in between), then squish them together so the edges touch. That extra mix seems to be enough to add to the 'pressure' once I close it together. Hard to describe.

I've only made a few batches of these myself, but I think maybe there is a fine line between too much pressure and not enough. I'm sure there are some recipies that can take a good packing in and maybe other's that don't. I'm guessing because it seems like if you pack it sooooo tight, it's going to have less play for shrinkage if there is any. Any water or witch hazel you add won't remain in the end product and surely there will be shrinkage. :confused: (it would seem- and that would cause cracks and instability right?) I don't like mine to be too oily so my recipies don't have a lot of oil and no butters in them. I find that if I try to pack too much in or apply too much pressure, stangely, it doesn't always stick and they fall back apart at the seam. As opposed to just a good basic squeeze. Just push the two sides together.(I also use the ornaments and do what Robin does with the scooping up extra- they work better than the shaped molds i've tried) Where as a recipie that incorporates a good amt of oils or butter probably could take it and be better off for it. So it could be a matter of recipie and or possibly too much pressure. :confused: So are they cracking after setting up or are they just refusing to make a ball at all?

Let us know if you figure it out- you surely aren't alone in your bath bomb frustrations!:undecided :Werd:

p.s. I'm not a queen of anything, nor am I crack-less... (_y_) well- depends on which kind of crack of course. (sorry, had to)

Are they cracking before set up or after? after half dry? I make jumbo balls ( orniments) and I dont have a pressure method...it might be the recipe your using...not enough this or that or too much moisture etc...also if its humid, that makes a difference. Mine use to not harden all the way if humdity was up ...it would take a long time or they would kinda bend or move then crack. But as practice has taken over and a thousand baths for everyone who knows me....no crackin and nice hard balls:D

My bombs are cracking after they are about half dry. It is usually around 12 hours in and I can find small cracks. 24 hrs and there are big cracks, sometimes the bomb nearly splitting in half! :sad2: I have tried using different "fail-safe" recipes and nope! Mine are failing horribly! I wanted to use different ingredients from my original recipe and having a horrible time! I also wanted to experiment with dipping them in melted butters, but I am thinking that would just activate them or cause horrible warts. Haven't tried that one yet! :o I know I do use alot of pressure....like "clamping down on the meatballer with the other hand and squishing"pressure....and "listening to the ornament mold crack" pressure. I will try another batch and ease up a bit and go from there. Thanks to all who responded!

• 1 month later...

I made bath bombs for the first time last night, I was thrilled that there are no cracks anywhere in them. I replaced 1/2 of the cornstarch with Kaolin clay. I am not thrilled with my choice of essential oils, but that's okay I will use something else that I like better next time. But there are no cracks and they are very hard.

I was a fizzie failure. Out of a dozen fizzies, I might get 3 or 4 good ones. They either cracked or completely separated in the middle. Then I saw a demo for bath fizzies at a soapmaker's meeting. This girl was considered "The Queen" of bath fizzies. Her advice was to weigh everything (including the water and f.o.) instead of measuring. She said that cracks were almost always due to too much water. I tried her method, and I've been successfully making fizzies ever since. It was amazing how much easier it was.