Linen Spray vs Body Spray

racolvin

For those of you who make these kinds of things, I have a question:

In looking at bases for these type things, I was looking at WSP's site. They have a base for Linen Spray that is $52/gallon and you can add FO at 15-20% concentration. They have a Luxury Body Mist base that is $17/gallon but they recommend a concentration of 0.5-1% FO.

Here's a link to the Body Mist base: http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=3244

Is there any reason not to use the Body Mist base, up the FO concentration and call it a Linen Spray? Of course at that FO concentration you wouldn't sell it as a body mist anymore, my question is really a desire to use the less expensive base product for a Linen Spray :)

Ronnie

I don't know what the difference between them is or why the room spray costs so much more. It would probably be a good idea to contact them and ask them directly what the reason is.

I've never tried their room spray (and at that price I never will), but I have used their moisturizing mist and found it to be sticky. With that in mind alone, I wouldn't want to use it as a room spray.

You might consider The Candle Maker's Store instead. It's a whole lot cheaper.

http://www.thecandlemakersstore.com/category/premixed_bases.body_splash/

Very very interesting. I take it you've used this stuff so perhaps I can ask a further question: you would take X amount of that base product, add say 6% by weight of your regular FO that I use for my candles, and you're ready to rock and roll? Seems WAY too easy compared to a google-billion hours I've spent testing my candles ;)

Ronnie

Hmmm... there's no ingredients list for the linen spray, but simply looking at the body mist, I don't think it would be a good idea.

The body spray contains humectants such as glycerin and Dioctyl Sodium Sulfosuccinate. I don't know what they'd do to your linens, but I doubt you'd want moisturized linens. Worst case scenario the body mist might stain linens or make them feel tacky.

It may also take much longer to dry than the linen spray, especially since it's alcohol free.

Very very interesting. I take it you've used this stuff so perhaps I can ask a further question: you would take X amount of that base product, add say 6% by weight of your regular FO that I use for my candles, and you're ready to rock and roll? Seems WAY too easy compared to a google-billion hours I've spent testing my candles ;)

Ronnie

Your regular FO that you use for candles is good PROVIDED it is skin safe. They are not all safe to use for bath and body products.

As stated before, not all bases are created equally either, so a certain amount of testing to decide which works best for you and your needs is necessary of course.. Is the base oily? Will it stain fabrics but be okay on skin? Some folks can't stand that cyclomethicone is a dry oil and tends to make hard surfaces a bit slippery, so it might not be the best bet for a room spray in a room with hard wood floors or linoleum etc. etc.. things like that. But generally, yep, it's less time consuming than candle testing :)

Your regular FO that you use for candles is good PROVIDED it is skin safe. They are not all safe to use for bath and body products.

Well, if I decided to make them, I'll be specifically saying its a linen/room spray and not intended for use on skin. I just really do not want to get into skin-safe products right now :)

Thanx for all the input everybody!

Ronnie

I have used the linen base from JS. The 32 oz bottle can make up to 2 gallons of base by adding water since it is a concentrate. It takes very little. I mixed some today using .60 oz of base for an 8 oz bottle.

ANY FO can cloud ANY base if you use too much. Vanilla FO's can also cloud a base regardless of how much or how little you use.

It is all a matter of playing with the mix to find the "happy medium". Another inexpensive recipe for a linen spray is to use witch hazel, water, poly 20 (others prefer poly 80) and your fo. The poly will bind the oil with the water base.

Because linen base isn't being used for the body (with the not body safe disclaimer), listing ingredients on the label isn't required. I have bought linen spray (to see how mine compares to theirs) from big companies that didn't list ingredients.

I like ICS's linen spray base:

http://www.candlesupplys.us/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=336

(I guess you can choose same product/different shipping options based on how you want it bottled, according to the site)

You can order a 16 oz sample size for only $2.50!!!! (& pick up some GREAT oils too!!! maybe try a couple of sample sizes of skin safe oils at their great prices).

Well, if I decided to make them, I'll be specifically saying its a linen/room spray and not intended for use on skin. I just really do not want to get into skin-safe products right now...

Technically that sounds ok, but what if someone sprays their sheets or pillowcase and then climbs into bed? I'd want to be darned sure there will be no irritation so I personally would opt for a skin-safe FO. But that's just me.

Opting for a skin-safe FO for sure ... I just don't want to advertise it as skin-safe/body spray and then have to get into labeling with ingredients, etc, etc. The intent for the product would be linen/air freshener but incidental contact shouldn't be harmful, I agree.

Ronnie

You can use their FO/EO modifier

http://wholesalesuppliesplus.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=2828

with water and fragrance oil and add a dash of perfumer's alcohol if you want or not add the perfumer's alcohol and voila, a crystal clear room spray that is a fraction of what the room spray costs. You can also use the alcohol that snow drift sells that mixes with water. Add a dash of glycerin to make the fragrance stay in the air longer.

PS, a lot of sites tell you to use Polysorbate 20. Never worked for me, turns my room sprays to something that looks like skim milk.

I've been making room sprays the old fashion way with great results for years, but yes some fos will make the sprays cloudy.

Water, polysorbate, witch hazel and skin safe fo. Yes skin safe, even if it's advertized as "room spray". If it get's on someone's skin, better to be safe than sorry.

I like cyclo for body sprays, because it's easy but as PA said it's not good if you have tile or hard floor. Ask me how I know LMAO :tongue2:

Actually they are not....

MillCreek's Soy Body/Linen Spray Base

MillCreek's Soy Linen & Body Spray is specially formulated to refresh the body and your linen with natural soybean proteins and a hint of soybean oil. The natural ingredients refreshes, soothes and adds calmness to your life.

$17.95 each or 4 Gallons for $15.95 each, Click below to purchase. May not be combined with other bases for discount.

that is 63.8 for 4 gallons and thecandles source is 52 for 4 gallons

ICS isn't either.It is $13.95 a gallon.

Candle source is $13.50 for ONE gallon or $52 for 4 gallons (which makes each gallon $13 even)

The candlesource has a base too. It says linen and body spray. SO when we label it body spray we have to list the ingrediants?

http://www.thecandlesource.com/catalog/i1080.html

Wow, that's expensive. Check out Millcreek or ICS, much cheaper.

You are looking at the "CASE" size/price. For one single gallon it's only $13.50. Much better, right?:D Also, if I'm not mistaken, this spray is the same as WSP's Luxury Body Mist