Soaping with Coffee (liquid)

kidsngarden

If I wanted to soap with coffee. If I dissolve the lye in water - about half the required liquid, the add the rest as coffee with the oils will it give off a coffee fragrance? I'm assuming that using ALL coffee as the liquid would make the coffee burn - or I guess I could freeze it and then add the lye, just like I do with milk. Or making it half frozen coffee and half frozem GM. I was thinking of adding a chocolate FO just slight enough to make it smell mocha-ish if the coffee fragrance will come through.

Whatcha think?

Bethany

When I do this, I simply replace all of the water with coffee and dissolve the lye in it. The coffee didn't burn, just wait for it to cool down after you've brewed it. When I first unmold it, yes it does smell like coffee. But the coffee smell goes away after a few days and doesn't come through. So if you want the soap to be scented, you will need to add an FO to it.

I agree. You can use the same method with coffee as you do water (making sure its cold). I use a hazelnut mocha FO w/ mine, as I couldn't even smell the coffee aroma in the lye or the oils once mixed.

If you decide to use coffee grounds I've use fresh ones and sparingly. The first batch I ever did, I think I took the first layer of skn off of everyone that tried it :o.

GL :)