Calling all those who have made salt bars..?

MBShafeena

I have a question that perhaps you can answer - those that have made salt bars....

Have you ever made these with a vanilla scent and if so did they turn dark brown? I want to make some tonight and am thinking that perhaps I only scent 3/4 of the batch and leave the other 1/4 or perhaps I do a 1/2 and 1/2 unscented (I don't the entire bar to be brown) ...will the part that is scented vanilla leech into the unscented white part and turn it dark too???? Also have you ever added honey to your salt bar recipe and if so did it work or did it cause it to do funky things???? I want to perhaps add honey to the FO free part, the white part (I know it willl turn probably pale gold but that's okay)

Vanilla will turn them brown, you can do a quick swirl by doing half and half I have not had a real problem with it going all brown maybe a little into the whiter areas. It is not that easy to do a fancy swirl as it gets thick fast when you add the salt. As far as using honey I have not tried it, salt bars are very hot and gel very quick. The honey may over heat them so watch them if you try it. Someone may come along who has done it. Good luck with them, let us know if the honey works.

Thanks for the information, yes I just read that honey may superheat in straight soapmaking so adding salt may spell disaster. I truly want to incorporate this into my recipe and perhaps I have to tweek the recipe and ensure that the white part doesn't contain salt (which means only using 1/4 of the batch at most, and not swirling but layering Oh well, I guess the only way I am going to find out, lol, is by trying it. The worst that can happen is I end up throwing the batch out but if it works.....:D Wish me luck. If you hear a BIG BANG, you might hear "Oh honey, I blew up the kitchen" :)

The problem I see is that the salt bars are very hard so the part with no salt would wash away faster than the salt part.

Darn, didn't think of that. Guess I will have to save the honey for a regular soap. I am just waiting for my lye/water to cool and about to make these. Oh well I will make it without and see how dark the vanilla scented part gets and if it leeches into the rest of the bar. The thing is I have used this FO before when I made my very first bar of soap, which was at the time a melt and pour, clear glycerine bar which I had colored a very pale blue .... looked really nice and then 3 days later when I walked past the soap IT HAD GONE CACA BROWN to my utter dismay, ROFL. You should have seen the look on my face when I spotted them that color, I said to myself WTF, lol. I learnt real quick that the vanialla EOs for the most part, even if they are clear in color, like to throw the brown gremlins into the mix :D .

I am itiching to use this honey that I got from a co-worker. Her father is a beekeeper and he sells his honey which is amazing looking and tasting too and I also got the most amazing bees wax from him that smells DIVINE too and at a steal of a price. I have yet to use it as well in soapmaking or my lipbalms but I plan to do that really soon.

I would do what lovely lathers said and use FO on 1/2 and then swirl in the unscented. It's called a blind swirl. If you wanna see what it looks like, search the gallery for a post by Sara. She showed a beautiful reverse swirl, I think maybe eugenia has posted one also.

Well it's in the mold now. I did it a bit different. I took 3/4 of it and scented with the vanilla madagascar, then I took the other 1/4 and split that and left part of it non-colored and non-scented and the other part left it also unscented and colored it beige/gold color. I poured the scented part in my mold first than poured the unscented and beige/gold color and swirled in into the scented uncolored and then took the unscented and white part and carefully poured in over the top and put the lid on and now I wait to see what happens.

Well they are done, out and cut BUT not sure I like them. Will post pics tomorrow in the other forum. I found when I was cutting them that some pieces, the bottom and scented part was a biy crumbly. Will wait and see if they harden up like the other I did in the last couple of days. Same recipe so there is no reason unless the Vanilla FO is the culprit.