Spices in M&P

kinipela

I sometimes use ground cinnamon but not too much. Adds a nice texture. I have added nutmeg too but it can be scratchy so you want to add ground nutmeg very sparingly. I haven't noticed any spicey smell from either.

Next I want to try adding cocoa powder but my local grocers only has the hot cocoa mix. I was looking for the old fashioned unsweetened cocoa powder.

I think it is because, if you add it into your soap, you have to realize- it's encapsualated. And then as it is exposed with use, it's wet. Opposed to an oil form (FO, EO, etc)- that you actually blend to be the base of the soap it's self. There is not enough saturation with this method either. You can't really sprinkle 30 grains of cinnamon into the palm of your hand and smell it. It has to be the whole bottle. Also, any kind of air exposure will quickly kill any scent you might be able to get from just topping the soap with the dried spice or herb. Only the super freshest will keep a scent for any amount of time. They are beautiful and creative additions either way though. But that's my theory why this doesn't really work. I realize that you are probably asking because you want to only need to use the natural items- but otherwise, it would be one beautiful soap if you added a spice for visual effect, and scented it with that spices namesake fo. It would come across as the 'real thing' so to speak. But again, if you are going for 'natural'- that wouldn't fly, lol.