Glass vs Tin - Do you see a difference in burn quality?

The thread about wickless candles has me wondering... Although the tins may not be the prettiest, do you see a difference in how the candles burn when the candle is in tin versus glass - considering all other factors (FO %, dye, wax, wicks, etc) remain the same?

Jen

I have yet to make any candles in the tins so I can only speak theoretically on this. That said, glass has a better heat retention than does tin, so you won't get much help from the tin container when it comes to achieving a full melt pool. Depending on how you've wicked it, you might need to go up a size to compensate for that.

Ronnie

Hi,

Metal tins get much hotter which I have found melts the wax much faster. I also notice that the scent throw is stronger because it gets hotter. Unless, of course, you use a smaller glassed jar and not a thick glass jar. This is comparing a thicked glass jar with a metal tin. I have found that the 10-11 oz. (net wt.) tin melts the wax faster than the 10 oz. (net wt.) thick glassed apothecary jar and produces a better scent throw. The downside to the tins (other than not quite as pretty) is that the fragrance oil may dissipate faster in the tin because it gets hotter, but am not positively sure on this yet. HTH

P.S. My post above is in regards to wickless candles. Now that I reread your post, I think you are referring to wicked. ?? It stills gets hotter, and I know some get concerned about it getting too hot when the candle burns down to the bottom of the tin. I would be careful and wick conservatively. HTH