Soaping with Milk... uh... Breast Milk

CBE

I was just browsing through some websites and such, and I found this. Is she for real???!! Has anyone else ever heard of this? LOL I'm sorry, but this really blows my mind! I had to share.:D

Breast Milk Soap *faint*

"As a LLL Leader and also a lactation consultant (anybody else do this on the list?) I have a great deal of faith in breast milk and it's special nutritional qualities.

I have made breast milk soap a number of times, because my daughter is a "milk goddess" and way overproduces milk. She pumps about 30 ounces each night she is away from her baby - she's a labor and delivery nurse- and uses about 8 ounces. So she is filling her freezer. I made lots of soap for her with her last baby. She gave it to friends and family, and I kept a little for myself. I have given some to nurses who take my breastfeeding workshop. It is a nice soap. Handles similarly to any other milk in soap. However, if you have a large quantity, it is best to swirl it about a bit before adding, or you will end up with the skim milk in your one soap and the creamier milk in your second soap, as it isn't pasteurized.

I have not used it in the soap I sell, simply because in this area I feel it would not be well received. If some of you have different experiences with breast milk soap- please share! Also remember that breast milk is not considered a body fluid so you do not have to worry about universal precautions, but if you get soap from someone who you aren't sure isn't totally healthy, I would still be cautious, because both hepatitis and HIV can be in breast milk, especially if there could be a drop of blood in it from perhaps a sore breast or from a harsh breast pump. If it is yours or a family member's milk, then you can trust it to be fine. Otherwise, if you are going to use it you might want to first heat it up to simmer and hold the simmer for a while to kill any type of possible virus. I imagine lye would do it too, but don't have any proof of that. However, heat does kill those types of viruses."

Go search breast milk on the Dish. It's been done many times.

You've got to be kiddin' me! LOL I agree with CB... it wouldn't be my thing either. Ok... benefit of the doubt... I would probably make it and use it if it would be MY breast milk. But I wouldn't dare give it to anyone else. LOL

It's interesting that people are appalled by milk from a human, but not from a cow or goat (different species). :confused:

I've never tried "breast milk" soap, but it really doesn't seem all that odd to me either. I would think as long as you make people aware of what's in it, go for it! Why let it go to waste?

Well… milk is milk. But just like I wouldn’t use raw milk from a cow or goat I don’t know to have a clean health certificate neither would I want to use breast milk from a human with out a complete blood workup. Although it is true that heat and the lye will probably lyses any bacterium or virus some have been found to be remarkably resilient. I also don’t see how mother’s milk would be any better than any other milk as the heat will effectively pasteurize it destroying the compounds (antibodies etc) that make breast milk so desirable.

I am not appalled by human breast milk. Like it is mentioned here, breast milk is a precious thing. But like Grandma Arial mentioned, the heat would probably destroy all the goodness of it. Has anyone ever thought of using the breast milk to make a lotion or cream? I don't think that would be my thing either. But if soapin' it works for you... by all means... :D

I am not appalled by human breast milk. Like it is mentioned here, breast milk is a precious thing. But like Grandma Arial mentioned, the heat would probably destroy all the goodness of it. Has anyone ever thought of using the breast milk to make a lotion or cream? I don't think that would be my thing either. But if soapin' it works for you... by all means... :D

I am not appalled either, Its just personal. I really dont think the cow or goat I use milk from gives it any thought where the milk went or what someone does with it. Are FDA guidelines in place for this? I mean what about public safety?

Ha. Yeaaah, this has been brought up before. If you can milk it, you can soap it. :) OR at least try to.

Why do I have a flaskback to Meet the Parents? :tiptoe:

P.S. I wonder if the sterilization needed to actually produce that commercially would damage, dry out and chaff the nipples... it's not like you can just pump and pour if you are going to sell it... Imagine having to wipe them with commercial sanitizer! O.o

mmmm well I am not appalled by it and find it interesting at our reactions to it. Breast milk is suppose to be one of the best milks for nourishment and its properties. I also think that the lye and heat would kill the bacteria. It would be interesting to see research done into this. I guess our "phobia" about breastmilk is stemmed from our society I guess. Probably 100 years ago nobody would have thought anything of it and then there was a swing to bottle feeding babies and then back in the 70's 80's back to breastmilk and now with everyone so busy back to bottles. I think it's more the way society perceives it that makes have us have the thoughs we do towards it. If it was proved to be safe and had added qualities that you can not find from any other milk (goat, cow, etc) I would use it. Hey, you never know, perhaps it's the "fountain of youth" for skin and we just don't know it.

Well, if I had milk in my breast, I'd probably try to do something with it...FOR ME! Just to see. If it's good enough to give to my baby then it's good enough for me...but only me. Just not something I'd want to share w/ the world as a beneficial beauty product. But hey, if it floats someone else's boat, I'd tell em to float on! :rockon:

"If it is yours or a family member's milk, then you can trust it to be fine."

WTF? If it's MINE, then yeah, I think I can trust me...but what about my sister? I have no idea what she does in the wee hours of the morning on those gambling boats! :laugh2:

This thread scares me...hope no men see this & think of marketing their "milk" as the answer to flawless skin :shocked2:

:D just to scare you more... IF it was scientifically documented that breast milk in soap was safe and WAS the answer to the "fountain of youth" (scarey to me is BOTOX injections, lol) how would you feel about using it then????

Personally, I still wouldn't use it...unless it was MY milk as a result of having my child :Dand again, just out of curiosity. There are a lot of things that are "scientifically documented" to be this or that...it's a matter of choosing whether you want to buy into it or not.

To me, breast milk is ...well...just personal & special between a Mother & her child. It's not something that (I think) should be whipped up willy-nilly like & passed out to a world already filled w/ too much vanity & the ever increasing obsession w/ finding the "fountain of youth". Now, if someone can somehow scientifically document / prove that breast milk in soap (or in anything) will completely wipe out HIV/AIDS w/ 2 showers or 1 sip, then I'll be the first to whip something up LOL. I'd definitely buy into that!

Oh yes, I'm with you on the Botox...but to each his own...whatever!