New to forum - wick advice needed

Hello everyone....I have found this forum extremely helpful while learning how to make candles. I am using C3 Soy in 16oz containers (2 1/2" wide) mason jars (5"tall w/straight sides) with eco 12 wicks and 1oz fo. One question I have is that on some of my fo's, (ex caramelized pecans) the wick gets the double-heading mushroom thing and on others it doesn't. Does this mean it's not the wick but related to fo. I'm also thinking I may need to wick down to an eco 10 and wonder if anyone has had experience with this jar/wick combo.

Also, I poured 5 containers of wildberry mousse the other day and got some frosting or at least what I think is frosting on the top 1/3 of the candle on 3 out of 5 candles.....heated wax to 170, added dye while heating, added fo at 165 and then poured at 150. Should the wax be poured into the container all at once because I do recall having to refill my pyrex measuring cups and continue filling some...

Thx

Brenda

Welcome, Brenda. I use C3 but not the same wicks as you have. The container you have chosen is a lot taller than it is wide - wicking may be a problem, so be sure to test your candles ALL THE WAY to the end. The mouth of the jar is narrower than is the body of the jar. You did not mention if the jar is round or square. Mushrooming of the wicks, "dancing" flames, smoking and sooting are common difficulties with containers that are a lot taller than they are wide.

Different FOs cause different issues with wicking. Some FOs require more wick, some less. Some contribute to smoking and sooting in addition to frosting issues.

Many FOs and dyes contribute to excessive frosting, but C3 will frost by itself after a period of time even with no dyes or FOs added. You will learn which ones cause you the most trouble with C3. Adding USA (universal soy additive) from JBN does help (also helps with smoother tops also). Adding coconut oil also has been reported to improve frosting issues. Tempering the wax is a melting/pouring technique that also helps a lot.

My best advice is to search the forums for discussion on your questions. There is a wealth of information in the threads here. Because so many of the same issues are discussed over and over, it's best to really read up on what you can find. There are few hard and fast solutions to the problems you have discussed because of the many differences in pouring methods, waxes, wicks, FOs, colorants and containers - a LOT of variables!!! You simply have to read, experiment, test, test, test and find what works best for you. HTH and good luck! :)

Thank you Stella.....I will keep testing. I haven't burned it to the bottom yet. Not even half way.....not sure how long it will take but love the smell. As for candlemaking...I was thinking of selling but the more I read in the forum, the more I'm worrying about the liability. I've purchased a bunch of supplies already so worse case, I'll have candles till I die. The whole process is alot of fun and quite rewarding. BTW, do you know if there's a shelf life on fo's. I purchased 12 different scents of the 16oz size from Candlescience. They are all in dark glass bottles.

Brenda

I was thinking of selling but the more I read in the forum, the more I'm worrying about the liability.

You are wise to think about this but I hope it doesn't scare you off from making and selling candles. Besides having enough for your lifetime, always having a special, handmade gift for folks is a great feeling!:)

Yes, FOs have a shelf life. They should be stored in a cool dark area, but after 6 months to a year, they will lose their potency and will not smell the same as they did when fresh. This doesn't mean you can never use them - just that they will not be the same. I try to make sure I don't have anything more than 1 year old. If the supplier doesn't date their bottles (some do, most don't), I mark the date I received them on the bottle to remind myself to use 'em or lose 'em! I always buy cosmetic safe FOs so that if I do not get them poured into candle projects, I can use them in bath & body products or even as room sprays.