newbie with a ? (a bit long...)

Hello! So, I've been trying to track down soy candles, especially tealights, and I've been surprised at how hard it is to find them (in-store not online). So, I ended up coming across a site that mentioned making your own soy candles and that it's not hard - ha!! maybe not to make a candle but to get one that burns well and smells good might be another story! Regardless, I'm intruiged by the thought of making my own!

I haven't started making my first candle yet, I just ordered the majority of my supplies yesterday after two long days of research using the advice off of this site! (Thanks!!) I am understanding that the type of wax, the specific FO, the wick, the container, using dyes, etc are all factors in a successful candle outcome. I'll note that at this point, the plan is to make candles for myself, my family and my friends for Christmas gifts, so they don't have to be completely perfect, just close :)

I am looking to figure out what containers to use and could use your recommendations. I had an idea of what I wanted and ordered wicks using those thoughts, but after more thinking I'm not so sure. So... more specifically, I'm hoping to hear what you recommend based on what I have coming my way, to help me be a bit more successful at my attempt. I'm expecting a handful of fragrances from Peaks and CS, Ecosoy 135, LX wicks in sizes 24, 26, and 28, along with some dyes from CS for use in some of the candles I'm hoping to make. I was planning on going with a 6oz Oval Hex (2.5 x 3.5), a 9.5oz Multi-faceted (3 x 3.75) and a 10oz flat top jar (3 x 3.13). After additional thinking, I was thinking it might be nicer if I had a 6oz, 8oz and 10oz jar though I'm not sure about what shape to go with to get the best burn for the wicks I've ordered. Since I have already dropped a load on other supplies, I'm hoping to get some advice before ordering jars (not a ton, relatively 50 or so). I can always get more wicks, but I'm hoping to try to use what I have coming to me first. I'm not limited to those three container sizes if you think the wicks will work with other sizes, and I'm not closed to pouring some candles in containers without lids.

I know I'll have a lot of testing to get to what I envision for a final product and before I need to have candles done for Christmas presents I may not have them to that level. Any recommendations you have will be incredibly helpful! I research pretty heavily before committing to jump into anything, and I feel good about the FOs and wax, just unsure about the jars.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this was a bit winded!!

Jen

Well, for starters, pick one jar first. Perhaps the plainest looking. And order sample packs of wicks, most suppliers sell them. You can always go back and order larger packs of the correct sizes, and you'll have the extras in the sampler pack for trying out on different sized jars. Keep in mind the larger jars burn for a longer time so will take a little longer to test.

Keep doing your research. Lots of good stuff on here, as I'm sure you've already found. :D Just give it a try and go from there!

Hi noob! You provide me with the opportunity to dust out the cobwebs in my head.

You're starting off good so far, I would have gone with a sampler pack of wicks which has the smaller sizes too. Be prepared to try different brands of wicks besides LX, since not all waxes behave the same way with all wicks. Also, if your jars will be wider than 3 inches, you'll probably want to double wick those jars. You may be OK single wicking as long as you stay under three inches wide.

Welcome to the board! geek

Welcome! You have received some great advice from those who know! I would suggest that you use a circular jar that is no taller than it is wide and that has straight sides. Deeper containers or ones whose sides vary in width are more difficult and sources for great frustration. Keep it simple, especially at first! Getting some success under your belt is important before you try more difficult containers, FOs, colors, etc. which will cause you to learn to enjoy the feeling of slamming your head against the wall. :)

A wick sample kit is the hot setup. Until you get a feel for what wicks you will need most often, it never hurts to have extra sizes hanging around... ;)

There are LOTS of threads here where new folks seek recommendations. You will be way ahead if you will search these out and read them. ;)

Good luck :D

Thanks for all of your advice - I sure appreciate it!!! I will definitely start with your suggestions and then move to other options if all goes well. I'm thinking I'll start with some 3 x 3 or so diameter round containers, and will start experimenting with the wicks I've ordered. If those wicks don't work I'll order a sample pack or two and try, try again. I'm crossing my fingers for some success and I have to admit am quite excited to work through the puzzle that this will be :smiley2: .

Thanks again!

Jen

I'm thinking I'll start with some 3 x 3 or so diameter round containers

3 inches wide with straight sides isn't an easy container. For some reason those dimensions start to get the flame flickering as the candle burns down. Plus the diameter is just at the point where a good melt pool starts to get challenging with soy. Those two things may combine to suck the joy out of your life. A 2 3/4 inch tumbler would be a great way to get started. It makes all the difference. Or if you prefer the country style thing you could consider a jelly jar.