Is it ok to...

Kelly

Mail info packets with samples to potential business' that are not within driving distance in the hopes that they will carry your products? Is it more appropriate to call first and ask if you can send them the packet? What is the proper ettiquette?

TIA

Mail info packets with samples to potential business' that are not within driving distance in the hopes that they will carry your products? Is it more appropriate to call first and ask if you can send them the packet? What is the proper ettiquette?

TIA

I would absolutely call first and ask! I would never just send it and hope for the best!

Ok that's what I figured but I figured I would ask since their may be unspoken rules for going about this sort of thing. I just don't want to do things wrong!

My aunt who runs a gas station/gift shop (tourist town) said that they would never take phone calls and they ask people to leave when reps come into their gas station. They prefer the unsolicited materials and samples so they can browse/try them at their leisure. So who knows! Can't please everyone all the time I suppose. Someone won't like phone calls, someone won't like free samples, someone won't like mailings.

*Shrug*

Ok that's what I figured but I figured I would ask since their may be unspoken rules for going about this sort of thing. I just don't want to do things wrong!

My aunt who runs a gas station/gift shop (tourist town) said that they would never take phone calls and they ask people to leave when reps come into their gas station. They prefer the unsolicited materials and samples so they can browse/try them at their leisure. So who knows! Can't please everyone all the time I suppose. Someone won't like phone calls, someone won't like free samples, someone won't like mailings.

*Shrug*

Well.. you could try it both ways I guess. I'm just telling you what I have done. First I find out who the buyer is for their candles or bath and body or their home products or whatever. I get the information and a way to reach that person, and I call them. I tell them who I am, and just visit with them casually. I've only done this three times, and two out of the three times I sent samples and got accounts :) The third one I"m still working one hehehe.

My biggest and best wholesale accounts are those that I was able to visit personally. I still think that's the best way.. find out who the buyer is, call them, see about scheduling a time to visit with them about your products.. take some samples and a brochure and a business card. Ask them if you can follow up in a few days. Then do it! I have some nice wholesale accounts from using this method of sales. I keep it simple, casual, and friendly. From there on out my candles and soap sold themselves!

I agree going in person in most cases probably is best, but I can't afford trips across the state (or other states for that matter - not yet anyway!) Which limits me to email, mail or phone.

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it. Did you need to do anything special tax-wise or license-wise to be able to sell your products wholesale?

I agree going in person in most cases probably is best, but I can't afford trips across the state (or other states for that matter - not yet anyway!) Which limits me to email, mail or phone.

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it. Did you need to do anything special tax-wise or license-wise to be able to sell your products wholesale?

You would just want to be sure that whomever is getting wholesale prices has a tax ID number. Other than that, nope. No special licensing or anything like that.

Good luck to you! :)

If you are shy like me you go directly to your potential customer and face em face to face. Helps to overcome the jitters. However,if you stutter and stammer around and they run you in circles,you will have a book of info. at hand on how best to maybe approach others later. You will have done your homework prior to meeting with them so that you can more easily visit with the buyer and try to close the deal more efficiantly. If that doesn't work and you have lots of money you don't know what to do with you can hire someone with the skills you need and have them do it for your company.....HTH!

Mike

Rule of thumb when it comes to collecting sales tax. If the product is bought by someone residing in your state, you collect sales tax for those purchases. I live in Utah. If Jane in Salt Lake City buys my soaps, I will charge her sales tax. If she then refers me to her sister who lives in California, and SHE buys stuff, the sister is NOT charge sales tax.

Now the exception to the state sales tax rule. If Jane in SLC owns a store, and she provides me with her tax id number, she is then exempt from being charged sales tax.

I provide all my Utah suppliers with my tax id number so they waive the taxes.

And again, all that said, you can have a wholesale account, and still collect tax on it. It's very very unusual, but I've got one. I've got an international account for my lip balms. But the buyer (our go between person) resides in Utah. When I approached him about taxes (I need paperwork regarding their tax id) he said he wanted to pay it. He'd rather play it safe, pay me state taxes, than risk having me get in trouble with the government. I decided not to fight him on it. So I treat him more like a regular customer who gets bulk discounts instead of a wholesale customer.

Okay, I hope that all made sense. I'm going to bed now!