Printing on bottles

Jadryga

Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to print on bottles? I have an account in the works that would require about 8000 bottles a month, and I'm not really psyched up to labeling 8000 bottles every month :tongue2:

If it's within the budget I've been given I'll probably consider getting the bottles printed straight instead of me having to label them.

Wouldn't you have that done in Malaysia? The prices anyone would offer you could vary wildly. The size of the imprint, the size of your bottle, the material your bottle is made of, as well as the colors you will use are factors nobody knows. Isn't this something that should have been looked into when determining your budget?

If your mom takes sourcing trips to China, surely you will be able to get a much better deal there than any of us in the states could.

I tried sourcing for containers here... I did find a place that does cosmetic packaging, but the cost of the bottles alone vary from $0.50 USD to about $0.90 USD. The budget given to me was about $0.57 USD per product, so those aren't even an option :(

Someone recommended a US supplier who could supply bottles for $0.08 per, which is awesome. Anyhow, I've found a manual label applicator for about $995 which would make my life tons easier :D

http://morewinemaking.com/view_product/5891/102724?PHPSESSID=50f25fb72475b47a97

If I get the account long-term, this would be a worthwhile investment to me since it can even label lip balm containers.

Boy you are mighty busy with thousands of hotel soaps, now 8,000 bottles of whatever. How do you have time to visit the boards so frequently?

Good luck.

I do most of my research/sourcing online :laugh2:

They're the same account, actually.

Thanks for the luck!

She also never sleeps. She IMs me about 8 or 9 am HER time, and talks about needing to finally dragging herself off to bed! LOL! Not that I can really talk right now.....:o

I know that feeling real well..... I'm up all night looking for suppliers for cosmetic sifter jars ugggggggggg!!

I wonder if your Bottle Supplier has Sifter Jars??

It seems to me that it would be way more cost efficient for you to go with a company who could supply the product you're looking and also private labelling. The "full enchilada" if you will.

This must be somewhat similiar to what you do with the many other products you sell on your website, yes?

By the time you order all the needed products separately and pay shipping from each source to Maylasia you would have to charge an exhuberent amount for ONE ounce of whatever it is you're needing.

I find it hard to believe you can only find ONE supplier over there who can supply one ounce bottles, considering just how many of the packaging supplies (ie. Bottles,jars,etc.)we have access to over here that are manufactured overseas.

With an order of 8K bottles you should be able to order direct.

It's shampoo and conditioner, I'm probably going with a base from Essential Wholesale. It's pretty cost effective even with shipping figured in.

You'd actually be surprised how few choices we have here for B&B. There are very few small B&B crafters, so I think what we make is generally for export. I think www.makeyourowncosmetics.com was where I read a comment by someone in South Africa that shea butter was an expensive commodity, so she made whipped cocoa butter instead. Ironic, since that's where it generally comes from, but low local demand and high export demand will drive local prices up for just about anything.

When I first started thinking about seriously making my own B&B several years ago, I went in search of a local supplier for cocoa butter. I never realized how hard it was to find the stuff in a country that grows and export cocoa. I tried bakery supply shops first. I said "cocoa butter" and I got responses ranging from perplexed looks to directions to the cocoa powder, so I tried looking in the Yellow Pages (our phone directory) for chocolate people. I found a few. I looked up one website, and found that they had only 25kg packs (about 55lbs). Now as a starting B&B crafter, I had absolutely no idea what to do with 55lbs of cocoa butter, but as the search dragged on, I got desperate enough to call the company and ask about the price for a pack. They were as helpful as a raincoat in the desert. The people I spoke to had absolutely no clue as to how much a pack was, or whether they had a minimum quantity, so they asked me to e-mail their boss. Two e-mails and 3 months later, I gave up. I eventually managed to find some in a craft shop for approximately $17 USD for about 1lb (I THINK it was a pound. Might have been less). Beeswax was even more expensive. I went to a local honey supplier and he got a huge chunk of uncleaned wax for me at about $10 USD, which was great, except... well... Cleaning bee bits and some twigs, maybe, but noticing some human hair embedded in the wax just grossed me out.

I'm thinking about sourcing from the Philippines or China next... they've got some good things from what I've seen, and I'm probably going there in October for a wedding anyhow. Other than that, China would be my next best bet, but like most Asian countries, you have to personally go and source for items. China has tons of sourcing fairs, etc. but not much in the way of websites (especially websites in English. They're either hilarious, complete gibberish or just plain unhelpful. I can't read Chinese.) My mother sources from there for her boutique, she goes every other month or so, but something usually pops up when I want to tag along, so I've yet to follow her. I'll probably try to next round.

That price is actually for 8000 bottles, directly from the manufacturer. I had to call them directly and ask because their website is scant on info and terribly outdated, and they insisted I go to see the samples then call them (they're in another state, but their little showroom is about 40 mins drive out of the city) with the code before they could give me a quotation. Sadly, I know most local manufacturers are like this - I'm lucky if they have a website, and they either can't or won't recommend items or fax pictures of items, so I have to see them myself.

I asked the lady in the showroom (more like, warehouse) about pricing, minimum quantities, etc, and she said she had no idea, I could call the factory and query.

When I got to the showroom, I found that the items had absolutely no information besides the code provided, no capacity (oz/ml), no measurements, no color or cap options, no prices, no materials, nothing. Even the code was handwritten on some tiny labels (I had some trouble with one bottle... I thought it was 8, but when I called the factory they said that range only went up to 7, so I thought "Maybe it's a 6", but it turned out to be a 2. Still not sure how 8 and 2 look alike.) and some had absolutely no code. They were just stacked around on shelves, and I had to figure them out for myself. The lady did absolutely nothing except let us in, shook our hands, introduced herself, then proceeded to gossip on the phone.

I know I'm practically ranting, but I think I've been spoilt by US/UK/Aus websites where just about everything a customer needs short of the physical presence of a salesperson is usually provided and sourcing is no more than a click away.

I have a feeling those prices are the average, and if that's the case, I think it's quite obvious why I'm not jumping with joy at the thought of checking out another supplier for just a few cents difference (your 1 cent is our 3.5 cents, so when I say few cents in ringgit, in USD that's one measly cent).

I AM still checking out some other local options though, one being medical suppliers, but I'm not overly optimistic.

It really is saddening for me to realize it's cheaper for me to import. Now I'm just praying that printing labels on a roll won't cost me an arm and leg. If I don't figure this out soon, I'll probably just have to admit defeat and let the shampoo/conditioner part of the account go and stick with just soaps.

I find it hard to believe you can only find ONE supplier over there who can supply one ounce bottles, considering just how many of the packaging supplies (ie. Bottles,jars,etc.)we have access to over here that are manufactured overseas.

With an order of 8K bottles you should be able to order direct.

You are so right Michi. Most of the big packaging suppliers are located in CA and where do you think their stuff comes from? China.

Well after reading all of that, I STILL think your best bet would be to find a ONE stop source who does private labeling, like I mentioned in my last reply.

I just can't see you being able to offer 1oz. Shampoos/conditioners at a reasonable bulk price with all the separate int'l shipping charges you'll accumulate! Not to mention the actual cost of each product, plus your labor etc.

I'd be curious and anxious to see a total cost breakdown for this.

I have the names of many private labeling companies. If you're interested just PM me.

Have you tried this place?

www.1stoppackaging.com

They are in Malaysia. Looks like a very nice site with nice looking bottles etc.

That was just the first site that came up after a google search.

Tons of manufacturers came up doing a China search also.

That is the best local packaging site I've ever seen. Maybe I've been using the wrong keywords to search with. I'll try calling them tomorrow morning. Thank you!