$85 candles

sockmonkey

I was flipping through a Lucky magazine when I ran across a page that had a picture of an $85 candle by D.L. & Co, and thought it was worth checking out. It's another example of knowing your market and what prices it can bear.

http://www.barneys.com/b/browse/product.s?productId=301775&source=category&index=42&prodIndex=42&listSize=75&categoryId=486950

Douglas Little (The D.L. in the name lol) makes a wonderful candle, and its completely crazy they run up to $125!! But, the luxury market craves looks like that, and I've burned a Black Dahlia candle, and while the scent was pretty good, and threw really well, it was only like 4.5 ounces if I remember correctly!!!

Also, what do you all think of their boxes? I found the company in China that produces them.

People will pay any amount if the marking spin is just right...

For example, what the heck are these "high-grade European waxes, and what poisons exactly...?

"D.L. & Co. candles are based on various poisons and are comprised of a patented blend of high-grade European waxes, many of which are used for luxury body creams and lotions. One immediately feels the difference in the wax when one runs a finger along its milky surface. Moist, but not greasy, it is virtually absorbed into the skin upon contact. D.L. & Co.'s candle wax formula not only burns cleaner than any other candle, it also houses the delicately balanced essential oils without altering their fragrance character. The wax in D.L. & Co. candles are specifically designed to have a low melting temperature, thereby yielding a greater liquefied surface area by which to better release the fragrance held within." (http://www.candledelirium.com/DL-Co-Candles)

And then there is this: "Jimmy Belasco Soy candles are a "pure soy" wax formula that is made from only TWO simple ingredients; soy beans and vegetable oil - period!" (http://www.candledelirium.com/Jimmy-Belasco-Candles/). So, is it pure soy wax or not pure soy wax?

Guest Candelishis

Maybe I should learn how to hand etch glass....I could etch my 7 oz frosted tumblers with a black design and sell them for $85 instead of $7.50..LOL.. That's just crazy...I mean, I'm sure they are very high quality, and not some crap that someone threw together, and yeah, they are absolutely GORGEOUS:drool: But COME ON....85 bucks for a 7 oz candle?? That would buy an orphan kid in some 3rd world country food for 3 months probably...LOL..I dunno...I just don't get it. But then, my husband doesn't see how I can justify spending 200 bucks on a pair of shoes when they have some just like it at payless for 30...:o ..to each his/her own I suppose...

Guest Candelishis
Also, what do you all think of their boxes? I found the company in China that produces them.

Where'd you find the boxes??? I LOVE them. I bet they're pretty pricey, but maybe someday I'll make a fancier line of candles and use them? or maybe they would be good presentation for Christmas gifts....hmmmm

These types of boxes apparently are made by many suppliers in China. I'm kind of getting mixed results on just ONE supplier. A few have shown pictures of the DL Boxes. Pricing isnt bad, but quantity is the problem. 10,000 pieces +!! Then you have shipping :angry2:. Maybe some day!!

In our paper there was a huge article about candles for $85.00-$150 and people were buying them. Decent market for them. These were pillars. Not jars or tumblers and of course all natural(it said) and aromatherapy. Seemed more for people who want a relaxing eve at home. Hey they can get that with our 8 ounce JJ. We can make it with a EO if they want or aromatherapy scent. And the cost is affordable.

It is strange but I buy fancy crocks, holiday jars, and tumblers.Have put bows on some things and GUESS WHAT they are never looked at. Couple times customers asked the price but never buy and straight to that simple 8 ounce jar. Now figure that out. :confused:

I cannot figure a 7 ounce candle for $85.00. I never thought people had that kind of money to waste. :shocked2: Looks like they do.

LynnS

I was flipping through a Lucky magazine when I ran across a page that had a picture of an $85 candle by D.L. & Co, and thought it was worth checking out. It's another example of knowing your market and what prices it can bear.

http://www.barneys.com/b/browse/product.s?productId=301775&source=category&index=42&prodIndex=42&listSize=75&categoryId=486950

EXCUSE ME????? (wiping drink off monitor screen) $85 for a 6.8 oz. candle?????

and what the heck is maple wax?????? :rolleyes2 LOL

Those candles would never sell here in my small town. But in a high end store I can believe they probably do sell pretty good. Its not just the marketing its also putting your product in an area where the shoppers with the big purses go to. Those kind of people don't shop in just any store.

I can top that. Checkout Jo Malone's candles for a mere £260 thats about $520 for you US chaps.

Click here to see what I mean :shocked2::shocked2:.

Ruby

Those candles don't give much details of size, but says they weigh 2.5 Kg :shocked2: Must be huuuge? So converted that's 5.5 pounds or 88 ounces, which makes them a mere $5.90 per ounce, still I don't think I'll be buying very many. :D

Definitely right about the packaging and marketing. Some people just *want* to spend money like that.

And these are obviously people with more money than good sense.

Hey, I'm all for pretty, high quality candles, but those prices are just absolutely ridiculous! Don't get me started on rich people, lol.