Let's Talk Clays

ladysj

I have the following clays:

French Green Clay

Pink Clay

Australian Red Reef

Australian Washed Blue

Australian Pastel Pink

My question is are these the type of clays that are used to make facial masks? If so, how do you sell these as masks and what directions do you use for them? I would also like to know what benefits they would provide in my soaps.

I've done searches on them but it all sounds greek to me lol

TIA for any help/suggestions.

Yep! They can be used as facial masks.

French Green Clay is a strong detox and drawing clay for oily, blemished skin.

Pink Clay is gentle and moisturizing, suitable for dry skin.

Red Reef is also a strong detox clay and can even be used to dye hair naturally.

Washed Blue is good for dissolving impurities and cleansing the hair follicles for clearer pores.

Pastel Pink is also very mild and moisturizing, suitable for dry mature skin.

Up to you how you'd like to sell them. You can either sell them dry (customers mix the clays with water to use) or wet (hydrosols, glycerin, water, etc). Of course you can mix them with lots of things, powdered herbs, powdered spices/oatmeal, honey, other clays, cornmeal for scrubbies, etc.

For soaps you'll have to wait for a soaping expert :D

Thank you so much that info was very helpful as far as which clays are good for which type of skins. I would like to know for those of you that sell these as facial masks in the dry form how do you tell your customers to prepare this for use? Is there a site that has directions/instructions on making the dry masks and the wet masks? TIA

• 1 year later...

So all you have to add is water? I have very oily, acne prone skin with large pores, and I've been using the Queen Helene Mint Julep mask. I like it OK but the tube it comes in is a pain to deal with, so I thought I'd learn how to make my own. Do any of you have a favorite source for these clays? And do you have any recommendations other than the French green, Red Reef, and Washed Blue discussed above? I've heard of kaolin too, and would bentonite be good for oily skin?

Some background info on clays:

Green Clay - The most absorbing of the Clays, Green Clay is generally used as a Face Mask for tissue repair, drawing toxins from the skin and to normalise excessive secretions of oil or sweat. Applied as a Face or Body Mask, facial clay masks cleanse, exfoliate, smoothe and soften the skin. Green clay is especially good at drawing toxins out.

White Clay - White clay is a mild clay used for normal skin. It has similar properties as green clay and is suitable for Face and Body Masks for young and sensitive or mature and delicate skins. Applied as a powder, White Clay is an excellent body deodorant and a natural alternative to talcum powder. White Clay is the Clay of Choice for use as a Hand Mask to soothe and soften dry hands.

Red Clay - Red clay is high in iron oxide, hence its colour, and helpful for broken capillaries, bags under the eyes and sensitive skin types. It is used for toning the bust, thighs, stomach and upper arms. Red clay is an oily, mildly absorbent clay and is used for Face and Body Masks in cases of dry, sensitive or mature skin.

Pink Clay - This Clay is intended for use in a maintenance programme for the face and body. The softening effect of Pink Clay refines the skin's texture while toning the epidermis (outer layer of the skin).

Yellow Clay - Yellow Clay is used for normal skin and has similar properties as green clay. This clay is derived from the iron oxide, Xanthoria Parietina. Yellow Clay is generally used for Face and Body Masks, particularly in cases where the condition of the skin and body needs revitalising. Yellow Clay is recommended for most skin types to restore tired and neglected skin.

Here's an example of how some people package and sell their masks:

http://www.purethoughts.co.uk/acatalog/Strawberry_and_Pink_Clay.html

Here are some recipes:

Clay in Beauty Care...

Disinfecting mask (special oily skin) :

Mix 2 table spoons of green clay powder with mineral water until obtaining a consistent paste. Apply to the face using a brush and avoid the contour of the eyes. Let dry naturally for approximately 20 minutes then rinse.

Purifying Mask (special oily skin) :

Put in a bowl, 3 table spoons of green clay powder and 3 tea spoons of hazelnut oil, add a little mineral water to obtain a consistent paste then apply to the face, leave it on for 20 minutes then rinse.

Revitalizing mask (special dry skin) :

Put in a blender 2 or 3 carrots get 2 table spoons of juice, mix with 4 table spoons of white clay powder. If the mixture is too thick, add a bit of carrot juice then apply to the face, leave it on for 15 minutes then rinse.

Invigorating Mask (special dry skin) :

Mix 3 table spoons of Avocado, add 2 table spoons of white or pink clay powder. If the mixture is not sufficiently consistent, adapt it then apply it to the face, leave it on for 15 minutes then rinse.

Revitalizing Mask (special dry skin) :

Mix 3 table spoons of banana add 2 table spoons of white or pink clay powder. If the mixture is not sufficiently consistent, adapt it. Apply it to the face, leave it on for15 minutes then rinse.

Cleaning Mask (special mixed skin) :

Mix 1 egg yolk, 1 table spoon of white clay powder and 1 table spoon of soft white cheese apply it to the face, leave it on for 20 minutes then rinse.

Cleaning Mask (special mixed skin) :

Blend half a pear then mix it with 1 table spoon of yoghourt, 2 table spoons of clay and 1 tea spoon of hazel nut oil. Apply it to your face, leave it on for 20 minutes then rinse.

Detoxifying Mask :

Blend 3 table spoons of dandelion; add 3 table spoons of clay powder. Adapt it to obtain a consistent paste. Apply to the face, leave it on for 20 minutes then rinse.

Mask for around the eyes:

Mix 2 table spoons of white or pink clay powder with water of cornflower in order to obtain a consistent paste. Apply around the eyes, leave it on for 10 minutes, rinse with lukewarm water then dry.

Capillary Mask – Oily Hair:

Mix 5 table spoons of green clay powder with an egg yolk, add mineral water in order to obtain a consistent paste. Apply to the scalp by avoiding the ends if they are dry. Leave it on for 20 minutes then wash with a soft shampoo.

Disinfecting capillary Mask:

Mix 5 table spoons of green clay powder with mineral water in order to obtain a consistent paste. In a table spoon of sweet almond oil, add 5 essential thyme oil drops, 5 essential lemon oil drops and 5 drops of tea tree essential oil. Mix all the ingredients and apply it to your scalp. Leave it on from 30 to 45 minutes then wash with a soft shampoo.

Beauty Mask

Mix a little bit of clay with floral or mineral water in order to obtain a flexible paste. Apply it to your face, Leave it on for 15 minutes, but do not to let the clay dry on your skin - then rinse with lukewarm water.

Clay Mask, honey and milk. (For all the types of skin)

Mix until you obtain a smooth paste, 3 tea spoons of white, pink or red clay, 3 tea spoons of milk and 1 tea spoon of honey. Apply this mask to your face for 20 minutes, rinse it with lukewarm water then apply your tonic.

Mask with essential oils (dilated Pores) Mix 2 table spoons of clay, the juice of a half-lemon, 2 peppermint essential oil drops and 1 drop of tea tree essential oil. Mix them well and apply the mask to the T zone (by avoiding the contour of the eyes). Leave it on for approximately 10 minutes, rinse with lukewarm water then with your usual tonic.

These recipes are fantastic. Thanks. I bought some clays from the co-op and have no idea what to do with them.

I did make a mask for myself with the Australian Pink since I read it's good for mature skin and find that I have less shine at the end of the day.

Anyone know sure how often a mask can be applied? Once a week or more often?

I've looked through all of my books and couldn't find any information about how frequently they should be used, so I searched the internet. Most sites suggested using a mask only once or twice a week, and some even said only once or twice a month was enough.

I read that if you use them too often they can strip the skin of its natural oils which causes your body to ramp up production to compensate and you could wind up with acne.

I personally wouldn't go more than once a week, and with my skin type, I probably wouldn't use them but once every other week since I tend to have normal to dry skin and oil isn't a problem.

That makes sense. I have dry skin w/oily T-zone. I'm thinking maybe apply only to that area at least once a week to control shine. We'll see how that goes. I'll have to test various clays to see which one I like best. Should take me at least 6 months LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

I was just reading some skincare stuff somewhere else on the 'net, and saw mention of a pumpkin masque (commercial brand). Now I want to get some of these clays and try making my own pumpkin skincare masque!