Wicks

Instead of blowing out your candle, take something and dip the wick into the melted wax and then pull it back up straight. You won't get any smoke and you shouldn't get any smell either. There are places that sell wick dippers for doing that, but I just use a piece of heavy gage wire and make my own,

AuntieS

Yes, you might get some black in the wax if you dip it, not to mention the huge carbon balls that zinc wicks make. If you're going to do that, make sure you trim first so that it doesn't fall into the melted wax. I prefer to use either LX, HTP or CD wicks, they don't mushroom as much as the zinc's.

Zincs work great for all kinds of containers and waxes. But they are prone to mushrooming. I have learned to live with it because I have some container candles that I would only use zinc wicks in because they burn better and produce a better hot throw.

If you push on the base of the wick into the wax, I don't find that if there is mushrooming,that it falls of in the wax.You just have to be a little careful, then the next time, before you light it, then trim your wick and your good to go. I hate the smell of the smoke you get when you blow out your candles, if I can't find my wick dipper, I will take it outside and blow it out

AuntieS

Tricia, I gotta admit, when I first read about wick dipping here, I thought it sounded nutz, but these folks seem to know a thing or two, so I tried it and it IS the hot setup! The carbon tips don't fall into the wax any more or less than if one blows the candle out and there is NO smoke. It felt a little awkward at first (I have always extinguished candles by snuffing them - placing something over the flame to starve it of O2), but I have the hang of it now (except for those occasions when I just snuff one out of force of habit) and I really think it's a better way of doing things.

Now if I could just get my husband to quit kidding me about wick dipping... :rolleyes2:laugh2:

Perhaps you should try to find a wick that doesn't "shroom so much... The wick dippers are not like a spoon - they are bent rigid wire devices. You can improvise with many non-flammable tools... I have been known to use clay tools, canine dental tartar scrapers, a straight-slot screwdriver, etc. if my wick dipper is not at hand.