Can the retailer be sued?

SoapDiva

One of the retailers that carries my items also carries some items by a lady who sublets a small area of the shop to do massage therapy.

The problem is that she is not consistent with labeling. Well, actually most of her items just have the name of what the product is like "Shower Gel".

She has no business information and no ingredient list on anything. Just some bottles with names slapped on them. Now, I am very clear on labeling laws, because I take the business side of my items very seriously.

If someone bought something from this store (which happens to be a health food store), used it, had a reaction (there are also no dummy labels) can the owner of the store be held libel? I don't want her to think I'm jealous (sooooo far from it believe me, my stuff looks professional) and just being catty, I'm concerned for both her reputation AND her clienteles safety.

I'm with TwinMom, I wouldn't do it in an 'in your face', just happen to mention that by law cosmetics are supposed to at least have the ingredients and maybe have a website addy handy, and just politely say "I really love your business and the opportunity to be working with you, which is really the reason I'd like to bring this to your attention, because I'd hate to see you get hurt in the process."

She can absolutely be sued and lose, because in manufacturing, the reseller shares liability for not doing their own homework and selling products that are technically not legal for sales. Once the correct info is on the bottle, and there is a defect within the product, it greatly reduces her chance of losing in court, because she made sure that 'necessary precautions' were taken on her end as a seller.

Or...

When you take in your next set of product, you can also give her a hand out on the labeling laws and simply say, I am including this so you know what to expect on my products and if you ever see a discrepancy please please let me know as I like to be a responisble business owner and like to have all my products properly labeled. That way you aren't mentioning anything at all about the other person's stuff and putting it on your own.

Angi

Thats a good idea, about printing off our regs.

And most definitely, if I were selling something and I was doing something wrong with labeling, then I'd want to know so I can correct it.

I have a feeling even if I say something, nothing will change. I live in hicksville, people are pretty slack ass about stuff like that. I swear there are more people working off the books and for trade than on the books.

I have a feeling even if I say something, nothing will change. I live in hicksville, people are pretty slack ass about stuff like that. I swear there are more people working off the books and for trade than on the books.

And this is why I wouldn't say a word. You already suspect that you saying anything won't help. There are times that you don't need to be a good Samaratin.. trust me, it's better to just go about your business and stay out of theirs. I'd rather do that than have anyone misconstrue my reasons for even mentioning it in the first place. But by all means, do whatever you need to do.

Mentioning something to the store owner might open up a can of worms that you will wish would have been kept shut.

Sometimes a "good deed" has the potential to backfire. You could find you and your products booted out of the store. The store owner might see you as some kind of whistle blower that is likely to cause trouble for her and her tenant, so the easiest thing to do is get rid of you.

Once you open your mouth, it might cause her to become educated and start asking you about your own products, like what kind of insurance you carry, and whether you have your products tested for bacteria, yeast, and mold.

I personally wouldn't say anything to anyone, but if you really feel the need

to do something, why not contact the tenant directly?

I agree with the two post above because I too live in a community very much like the one you are in. I know what type of reaction I would probably get from going against the grain around here.:rolleyes2 It's sad because you should be able to inform someone in a polite manner without causing problems but it isn't always the case.

How many products can you buy off ebay & etsy that have nothing than the same label on them. & shoot, they have TONS of sales. I think its a waste of time too that could just backfire.

Don't worry about it & you can sleep good at night knowing you're doing the right thing with your own goodies.