bummed with wicks or scent

I am getting discouraged. Been testing with Ecosoya pure and thought I had the right wick. I've tested them all except CD series which is on it's way to my house right now. For now I'm using ECO series cause it was the best performer and burning just right. On the candles that have a strong Cold Throw, once I light them it's been either weak or at the most medium. Fills a bedroom not floating anywhere else. So, then I say OK, tonight when I pour my snowtop Citrus Cooler & Champagne/Straberries I've had it...if it aint going to throw at 6-8% here we go...will try at about 10% with Heartfelts Pear Island too. All so strong they about ran me out of the house while pouring. But after they started to cool, half the top on two of them looked like the San Andreas fault decided to drop in with a 9.5 on the richtor scale! I'm new at this and been only testing since the beginning of the year but never had anything like that happen. So, what am I to do besides keep humming the tune from Dory in Finding Nemo..."Just keep testing" Just keep testing...My test meter is getting pegged and out of all of these tests have found one candle that has burned absolutely clean each time with great cold and hot throw, no hang up whatsoever and it had a LX series wick in it! Which you would think would be great but the wick didn't perform well with all it's mushrooms and slowly diminished flame but had perfect everything else. So, if any of you mentors out there have any wisdom to pass along to this newby from my ranting session...I will be on the session couch waiting. Truly discouraged--Munch

I would never class myself as a mentor...But I feel your pain..:P

I to have went thru tester after tester that once I put a wick in the wax, I don't know where the smell went, but definatly not in the room..I have tried all the wicks you mentioned, I have found I like the CD wick the best..I use GB 415 ..4" diameter Jars, and I double wick..To me they don't seem to mushroom as bad..Maybe when you get your new CD wicks you will find a combination that works for you..We will see what the others have to say..

Thanks 8 - I do appreciate the response and just knowing I'm not alone is help too. I'll be anxious to see how the CD wicks perform in the same wax/scent I've poured in ECO's. Diameter on mine are 2.5 so the full burn pool is achievable with one wick so we'll see. Hopefully I can post myself Jumping up and down for joy if I figure it out and as others have said too in other post it could be the wax or a plethera of factors...testing till I find that right combo as you said is key...some days are just discouraging. Thanks again..

Munch, I feel your pain. :cry2:

I'm fairly new to soy candles and have experienced more downs than ups with this hobby, mostly with wicking and scent throw, (the two most important features to a productive candle). I've also noticed along with a big hole in the bottom of my purse, my credit card is beginning to shrivel up LOL :shocked2:.

:yay:Your definitely not alone. you can do it Munch! Hang in there.

Are you using HTTP wicks? Are you pouring glass containers? How much% is soy in your wax?

Peaks and Aroma Haven FO's have worked well for us.

I am no mentor either, I have a MILLION questions and problems myself, but I hope I can help you.

Thanks Patty & Flower...This is an addictive hole in the purse hobby ;) Using ECO wicks in glass containers with 7.5-8.5% fragrance. The Suppliers I've tested are Bittercreek South, Candle Cocoon, Candlescience, Fragrance Oil Central, Fragrance Oil Heaven, Heartfelt, ICS, Just By Nature, Just Scent, Nature's Garden, Northstar 3c, Oregon Trail, Snowtop, The Scent Works and The Scented Bean. And of all those even if they had a strong cold throw, weak hot throw at best with them. I am so hoping that once I do some comparison test with the CD wicks this will turn around. Burned my Ol'South Pumpkin Pie tonight w/an ECO12 wick and although it had medium cold throw...again once lit such a weak hot throw but perfect flame, burn pool and clean with no hang up or residue....so from all the knowledge on this forum changing out the wick to see if that helps and if it doesn't....:confused: well, hopefully won't have to start at square one again.

Thanks Patty & Flower...This is an addictive hole in the purse hobby ;) Using ECO wicks in glass containers with 7.5-8.5% fragrance. The Suppliers I've tested are Bittercreek South, Candle Cocoon, Candlescience, Fragrance Oil Central, Fragrance Oil Heaven, Heartfelt, ICS, Just By Nature, Just Scent, Nature's Garden, Northstar 3c, Oregon Trail, Snowtop, The Scent Works and The Scented Bean. And of all those even if they had a strong cold throw, weak hot throw at best with them. I am so hoping that once I do some comparison test with the CD wicks this will turn around. Burned my Ol'South Pumpkin Pie tonight w/an ECO12 wick and although it had medium cold throw...again once lit such a weak hot throw but perfect flame, burn pool and clean with no hang up or residue....so from all the knowledge on this forum changing out the wick to see if that helps and if it doesn't....:confused: well, hopefully won't have to start at square one again.

Munch, how much luck did you have with NS oils? This was my very first fo supplier. The scents that I got were great OOB, CT was awesome but in my wax (GB415) I got a very weak HT to no HT with all of the oils. At that time I was trying out the 700 series wicks and noticed a fuel/chemical type smell when burning my candles. I have reason to believe that the fuel smell was from those darn wicks because I detected that funny fuel type smell with all of the scents (when burned). The CT was awesome with all the scents, thats why I think the wicks might have been causing me problems.

Maybe I could have gotten NS oils to work in my wax if I tried a different wick...Sooo much testing and sooo little time, patience and money.

Best of luck to ya!