Plexiglass Molds

Hibiscus

My BIL is going to make some soap molds for me and I am trying to decide which material to use that would be a no liner type mold. I see that doright molds are made of food grade polyethylene and some say the soap still sticks to it:confused: I'm not sure who posted a pic in the gallery of a vertical mold made of plexiglass and I've seen one or two in my search but haven't read any reviews on whether or not the soap sticks to it. So, if anyone has a plexiglass mold and would like to share your experience, post or feel free to PM me:grin2:

Thanks,

Hibiscus

Funny you should post this. Today I went to Lowe's and bought a 24" X 48" sheet of acrylic. It is my DH task to figure out how to make the mold. He made some great wood molds for me in January, but I'm tired of lining them. I tried the "foam" sheets and even tried lining one of my molds with silicone, but I'm not pleased. He won't have time to make them this week, so hopefully, next week (or more likely the week after) I'll have a mold to test and report on.

I just wanted to add that I chose acrylic since I could not find HDPE locally and did not want the extra expense of freight charges just to try something that may not work. The Plexiglas was cheaper (1/2 the price of the acrylic), but it was TOO thin. The guy at Lowe's told me the acrylic should hold up better that the Plexiglas (but admitted he didn't know anything about soap making, so couldn't be 100% sure).

I've looked at some of the plexiglass while at Menards and I do believe it can be purchased up to 1 inch thick. They had several sample sheets and I was in a hurry but it stayed in my mind along with that mold I saw in the gallery. Thanks for your replay and let me know how that material works for you. Yep, lining molds are a serious pain.:mad: I want a break away type mold:drool:

As with most of the non-stick molds, once they have been used a couple of times they tend to no longer stick. I had my hub make a couple of plexiglas molds for me and the first time or 2 they stuck slightly, but the more I have used them, now the soap just slide right out.

They all just need some seasoning. :)

Ha! Let me know about the plexiglas, but I think they'll still need some releasant. I use mineral oil, which I have a gallon of the stuff anyway. Guess my one particular mold isn't seasoned enough, because I still have issues with it and trying to get a batch out of the mold. I've probably made at least 10 batches in it.

Wonderful:rolleyes2 ...lol...the round mailing tubes work very well and I've never had any soap stick in them..maybe I should research that material as opposed to the plexiglass..:grin2: I really hate seasoning and all that because sometimes that's not good enough with some pastics. We shall see..it is time for new molds either way and I don't want to use wood anymore.

Thanks Everybody!:grin2:

Wonderful:rolleyes2 ...lol...the round mailing tubes work very well and I've never had any soap stick in them..maybe I should research that material as opposed to the plexiglass..:grin2: I really hate seasoning and all that because sometimes that's not good enough with some pastics. We shall see..it is time for new molds either way and I don't want to use wood anymore.

Thanks Everybody!:grin2:

The mailing tube molds only work that well, since you are able to push the soap out one side. If you make a log or slab mold, you wont be able to push the soap out.

Funny you should post this. Today I went to Lowe's and bought a 24" X 48" sheet of acrylic. It is my DH task to figure out how to make the mold. He made some great wood molds for me in January, but I'm tired of lining them. I tried the "foam" sheets and even tried lining one of my molds with silicone, but I'm not pleased. He won't have time to make them this week, so hopefully, next week (or more likely the week after) I'll have a mold to test and report on.

I just wanted to add that I chose acrylic since I could not find HDPE locally and did not want the extra expense of freight charges just to try something that may not work. The Plexiglas was cheaper (1/2 the price of the acrylic), but it was TOO thin. The guy at Lowe's told me the acrylic should hold up better that the Plexiglas (but admitted he didn't know anything about soap making, so couldn't be 100% sure).

I have both the Mr. DoRight molds and the TOG slab molds with the foam liner system. I just unmolded my soap (a few minutes ago) and my Mr. Doright mold does stick. I have to smooth on the soap chunk that does not release. It could be possible that I need to wait a day longer to unmold. As for the TOG mold with foam liner system.. I could not be more happy. The mold unhinges on the sides and the soap lifts right out every time. I just ordered another one. For me, the foam liners work awesome. I am not sure why anyone is having a problem, but everyones experiences are different. I will not even look back at another mold. The foam liners wash off easily and I put them back in the mold right away. Best mold I have EVER used thus far. Just my 2 cents!Teri

The mailing tube molds only work that well, since you are able to push the soap out one side. If you make a log or slab mold, you wont be able to push the soap out.

No kidding...I'm thinking that because it pulls away from the soap naturally, there might not be a problem in a log or slab...don't think I want a slab. If you have a mailing tube you'll notice they are also flexible while not screwing up the soap....we shall see:grin2:

Let me clarify something. My dear brother in law is willing to make a mold for me out of whatever material I choose. The labor and materials are FREE. I look around at various materials when I have a chance but that's really all I have to do. I am leaning towards a break away type mold....I've got plenty of soap right now so I am in no hurry for it just checking with the mold experts:grin2: before I decide. I'm on a soap break for a little while..it's time to BEAD!

I made two identical batches yesterday; one in the acrylic mold, one in the silicone-lines wood mold. Eighteen hours later, the acrylic mold still has soap in it, while the silicone-lined wood mold has released its soap. I will wait at least 12 more hours before I stick it in the freezer.

TOG stands for The Ole Goat. They are wonderful molds that are wooden and hinged and can convert between slab and log molds (I use mine as logs mostly). They have funky foam liners that are re-usable and peel right off (for the most part).

They are made by Soapmaker Man (aka Paul). I don't know if he has pics posted but if you PM him with your email address he will send some to you. He also has a new cutter that is akin to the Tank (for logs) but is MUCH cheaper.