Select Shades For Soap Making

suzanneg

Hi!

I use the Select Shades for my soap, bath & body products. It is the easiest coloring to use and over 800 different color shades!

Anyone else here use it?

I have been using these for 4 years now!

here is the site- www.selectshades.com I buy the basic 8 set!

You can download and print out the formula charts! it is the best thing on the market! imo

Just wanted to share!

I plan to branch out into mineral and oxide colorants for a range of looks, but Select Shades is all I've used so far and I think it's a great system. All the time that went into creating the color charts adds major value. I think it'll remain my main thing for coloring soap.

These sound very interesting! I love the color charts- that's one of my biggest problems with the liquid colorants I am using now. I stink at figuring out the blends!

Have you ever tried coloring very small portions of B&B products like lotion- say one or two bottles? Are they too concentrated for that?

Have you ever tried coloring very small portions of B&B products like lotion- say one or two bottles? Are they too concentrated for that?

Creating the colors on the charts requires between 1/8 tsp and 1 tsp colorant per pound of finished product. If you have a set of measuring spoons that includes 1/8 tsp, you can easily make 1 lb of product using just the spoons and in many cases much less.

Creating the colors on the charts requires between 1/8 tsp and 1 tsp colorant per pound of finished product. If you have a set of measuring spoons that includes 1/8 tsp, you can easily make 1 lb of product using just the spoons and in many cases much less.

I do have tiny measuring spoons.

But saw that they talk parts- so it seems that could really in essence be drops.

Maybe I'll just get them and try it out.

I do have tiny measuring spoons.

But saw that they talk parts- so it seems that could really in essence be drops.

Maybe I'll just get them and try it out.

The base colors come in plastic bottles with dropper tops, so you can easily do the parts in drops or whatever measure is convenient. It's OK to mix up a little more dye than you need. The instructions stress that the colors have to be mixed with each other before they're mixed with the product. I mix them in a small glass or votive cup and then transfer to the measuring spoon with a disposable pipette.

if you add each individual color (as per chart specs) to your soap/lotion/etc the colors may not incorporate properly (due to some FO'S and bases have thier own natural coloring) to the specific color you are trying for!

Guess who tested it????????:laugh2: trust me it is better to mix them BEFORE you add to your base!

if you add each individual color (as per chart specs) to your soap/lotion/etc the colors may not incorporate properly (due to some FO'S and bases have thier own natural coloring) to the specific color you are trying for!

Guess who tested it????????:laugh2: trust me it is better to mix them BEFORE you add to your base!

Yep, I discovered that too. Sigh.....pays to not only read the directions, but follow them also.

If you drink crystal light, save the tiny cups the powder comes in - good for mixing the colors.

I just received mine last Wed evening, so Thursday am I had to try them out. Used Artic Raspberry from SW and swirled with a very pretty (and intense) pink. Maybe should have used less..:confused: but we'll see!! But anyway, they are too cool!

DO pay attention to the instructions. For some reason, adding the individual colorants separately doesn't always work - so pre-mix. And remember that the amounts given are for the total weight of the soap INCLUDING WATER. Parts is parts, so you can use any measuring technique you wish. I have a lot of dispo-pipettes so I tend to use mls to measure mine. Intensity is hard to judge for me - I often am too dark but I think it's a personality flaw that I must add just a tich more!! LOL!

Yep, I discovered that too. Sigh.....pays to not only read the directions, but follow them also.

If you drink crystal light, save the tiny cups the powder comes in - good for mixing the colors.

What a great tip, sheesh now why didn't I think of that-do you have any idea how many of those I have thrown away!!! :rolleyes2

I also use these and found another way for mixing.

When I find a color I like, I premix a small amount into a 1 oz plastic bottle (like the ones FO's come in). Because I just use these for swirl color, I use a pipette and mark down the number of drops used.

I had trouble trying to figure out teaspoons per batch, so found this was much easier for my mathicatically challanged brain...LOL