Trying Again

DeJae

Ok, first two batches I tried, weren't so great, think there may have been some vanilla in the scents and they went dark dark brown on me.

3rd batch siezed the stick blender in it

4th batch came out good but didn't swirl as well as I would like but sellable.

So here is batch number 5, so far so good, would only get to a light medium trace, so we will see

Here are two pics.

post-7601-139458431612_thumb.jpg

post-7601-139458431613_thumb.jpg

Red Current.

Well it struggled alot to get out of the mold, never had that happen before.

So I am going to let it sit a bit longer than usual to cure a bit more.

It did ash some but I know I can fix that. We will see. Hope with it not tracing well that it doesn't crumble on me when I cut it.

We usually have 9-12% humidity at most but this is Monsoon season and our humidity is around 22-25% which is real high for here. Could possibly be part of the issue but not sure, it was a new recipe so I have nothing to compare it to.

WELL, like I said, I was trying again....

The swirls came out strange but I think acceptable.

BUT the edges did flake some on me....

I trim my soaps so I think most of them will be ok, if not, they will become soap balls!!!!

I have tried 4 recipes now and one came out the best but I am not crazy about it when using it. Sooo, I just don't know...but I am not giving up yet!

Those are pretty, I really like the swirls... can you duplicate them?

For flakeing edges I have found that when I start to pull the paper off if it starts to flake I just put it back for another 24 hours. It seems to me the longer in the mold the better the (at least softer) soaps do.

Those are pretty, I really like the swirls... can you duplicate them?

Thank you, they are kind of growing on me.

For flakeing edges I have found that when I start to pull the paper off if it starts to flake I just put it back for another 24 hours. It seems to me the longer in the mold the better the (at least softer) soaps do.

I don't think anyone can duplicate a swirl, you can come close but they never are the same. Of the whole batch, each bar is a tad bit different.

I don't use paper cause I have Mr Do Right Molds and no need for liners.

But I guess I should have left it in the mold longer, live and learn!

I like the kinda chunky look of your swirls... and how they almost look layered... sort of layered and swirled together... ok... I know what i mean!

I have been relatively successful at producing the same “style” of swirl from batch to batch. Not the same patterns of course, but similar by paying attention to both the technique (how I add the color portion and where, how much “stirring” I do in the pot, and how much in the mold) and the stage of trace I pour at. I bet you can reproduce that really cool swirl with some practice… and take notes to share please. :grin2: I would like to make a soap that looks like that.