Soap & Body and Bath Books

8-GRAN-ONES

If you ladies have any recomendations on a good book, or a website for information on making soaps..give me your imput..

I have read the two post lately on SHORTENING & SHEA SUDSY SOAP and

the EMULSIFIED BODY BUTTER..and really want to give a try at this..:yay:

I bought 2 of the molds from the co-op from Mr do right molds..and am anxious to try..

But everything I read you ladies say is read read read before you start..

I have never made either so I don't want to go about it the wrong way..

Your input would be appreiciated:highfive:

I found that anything and everything I read helped me. Many of the sites and books say simaliar things which helps instill it in your head. When reading the same thing but with different directions you find what works best for you. I found the "Soapmaker Companion" from Cavitch very easy to understand and read. www.Millersoap.com is a great site also.

I found that anything and everything I read helped me. Many of the sites and books say simaliar things which helps instill it in your head. When reading the same thing but with different directions you find what works best for you. I found the "Soapmaker Companion" from Cavitch very easy to understand and read. www.Millersoap.com is a great site also.

I agree. I also find the soapdishforum to be helpful and very informative.

I've found Soapmaker's Companion to be at quite a few libraries. It's one I'd borrow, but not one I'd buy. I've read it cover to cover a couple times (back when I started), and it's great education wise. But if I remember right (it's been a while since I've read it) the recipes tend to be pretty good sized. Starting out with 1-2 pounds is good. The amounts aren't so small that they're hard to measure, but the recipe isn't so big that it kills you if you end up having to toss cuz you screwed it up. I tossed three batches before I finally called on a local soaper to come help me out. For me, that was the best thing I ever did. There are some things (like seeing and recognizing the beginning of trace) that are very difficult to learn from a book or online. They visually need to be seen. At least for me, who has always been a visual learner. So if you know of any other soapers in your area, ask for an afternoon tutorial session. I'd bet most people would be more than willing to help.

Hi! I just wanted to say you can find LOTS of candle/soap/bath & body making books at the library. Just ask the people that work there to find you books on these subjects and if they don't have them locally they can usually order them from other libraries in the region. :)

Melany

I own 2 books by Susan Cavitch, as well as the book by Melinda Coss, and the Soap Naturally book, and love them all. The only book that I bought that I think is crap is one by Norma Coney. I'm planning on getting at least one of Alicia Gross's books soon.

There is a lot of info online, but I really do like having a few good reference books as well.