Stupid Quilting Question

Shawnee

Charm packs are squares of various fabrics sold in a bundle. The usual size I've seen are 4 inch squares. Packs can vary in size - but typically on the market now is a pack of 40...10 different fabrics and 4 squares of each fabric.

HTH

Charm packs should mean that all pieces you get in that pack should be of a different fabric, no duplicates.

http://www.womenfolk.com/quilting_history/charm.htm

Fat quarters are a quarter yard of fabric in whole, but cut differently than the normal 1/4 yard.

It is a half yard cut in half again.

a quarter yard of fabric that is cut in a particular way: instead of cutting 1/4 yard off of the bolt, 1/2 yard is cut and then cut across the length, so it ends up 18" x 22". This is a convenient size if you just like the fabric and want a piece for your stash. It is especially convenient for applique projects and backgrounds where you may need a wider piece than 9". If the fabric has a large print you are more likely to get the whole print if you buy this way.

A site evoted to fat quarters!

http://www.fatquartershop.com/

HTH

Smacky you said Charm packs should mean that all pieces you get in that pack should be of a different fabric, no duplicates - didn't go look at your link but as a quilter I have to disagree with your definitions - fat quarters and charms are different - as was said, charms are usually 5" squares and the fat quarters are 18x22's. The difference is size - It really doesn't have anything to do with the patterns or it being a bunch of different patterns.

So if a pattern calls for fat quarters, don't buy charms! :grin2: You will end up seriously short!

There are many, many patterns out there for either fat quarters or charms. Most QS will sell individual fat quarters but I have never seen charms sold seperately.

But more importantly - what are you making with fq - a quilt or....?

Smacky you said Charm packs should mean that all pieces you get in that pack should be of a different fabric, no duplicates - didn't go look at your link but as a quilter I have to disagree with your definitions - fat quarters and charms are different - as was said, charms are usually 5" squares and the fat quarters are 18x22's. The difference is size - It really doesn't have anything to do with the patterns or it being a bunch of different patterns.

So if a pattern calls for fat quarters, don't buy charms! :grin2: You will end up seriously short!

There are many, many patterns out there for either fat quarters or charms. Most QS will sell individual fat quarters but I have never seen charms sold seperately.

But more importantly - what are you making with fq - a quilt or....?

If you had looked at the 2 different links you would have noticed the difference, and maybe understood what I was talking about.

The first link was to a site showing what a traditional charm quilt is.

The second link is a site that is devoted to selling fat quarters.

I NEVER said that fat quarters and charms were the same.

In fact I never gave a specific size on the charms, as those vary.

I gave a specific size on the fat quarters for the normal 45 inch wide fabric.

Looked a bit more at fabric charm packs on-line, and I am seeing that some shops are selling using duplicates, such as in this site.

(In other words, 2 squares of each different fabric sold in the charm pack.)

http://www.quiltroom.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_CHARM_PACKS___HEXAGON_FABRIC_PACKS_167.html

I have never seen the charms sold individualy either and I never said that.

Let me try to make this more clearer..the fabrics in a charm pack are or were traditionally sold in an assortment of prints, solids, patterns, etc. without a duplicate in the pack.

Have done several charm swaps that each person in the swap contributes a set of fabrics with no duplicates as well.

What am I making with fat quarters???

Why is that important?

Well....if you must know, the following should explain.

I tend to buy fat quarters only for a pet project of mine, bali batiks, for quilted jackets.

The scraps from that are used in scrap quilts.

I also buy a few fat quarters for baby quilts.

Normally I buy fabric in yard and a half pieces, if I think it would be a fabric that I want to be predominant in a quilt, I get more, 3 yards.

If I have a specific pattern that I am buying for, I purchase according to its needs and a bit more.

I prefer to be safe than sorry and to allow for a cutting mistake.

I have been quilting since I lived in Houston and got suckered into taking a friend to the Houston International Quilt Fest back in 1988.

That ended up being an annual event for me, and then I suckered my MIL to going to it one year and she was hooked.

Nice to share an addiction!

I am sending along a link to the quilt fest. Anyone that can go, should go if they like to quilt.

The diversity is absolutely amazing, and they do mean INTERNATIONAL!

People from all over the world attend this one.

You go and cannot help but be inspired by all the creativity.

It lasts several days for the show, the classes are normally held earlier than the festival by a few days.

The Market is only open to shops and trade only, but if you have a friend that has a shop, ask about it. They might help you to be able to attend. :wink2:

http://www.quilts.com/home/index.php