witch hazel for body spray?

I read on another board that you could use witch hazel if you do not have any of the ingredients required for a spray, did anyone try this and is it a good advice:confused:

The people did seem knowledgable but i've always though of this ingredient as something for oily skin formulas not scents...any thoughts?

I use the recipie combination that PA mentioned for a multipurpose spray. As long as the FO is skin safe, it's good for your linnens, the air, or your body- and I even like to spray it on our hair. (generally for skin I mean, you still would want to test for fabric safety) The WH scent can be detected if it the FO is not intense enough to cover it, but also, I do beleive that since it's basicly behaves as alcohol, the scent dissipates after a few minutes. And I think it does have to be shaken for sure. The last batch I made in cute little tinted and shaped Dollar store spray bottles is beginning to eat at the plastic (but it's been about 6 months and it's just now happening- with just that last little bit in the bottom I haven't used but don't want to toss yet, lol.. so I think that's what happened... the FO sat in the bottom and the % got too concentrated.) And I do think there are at least two different concentrations of witch hazel available for sale. So if it concerns you, but you want to try it, just look for a lesser %. :confused:

I was told by a local supplier that witch hazel off the store shelf contains alcohol. I checked the label on my current bottle, and she's right (14% alcohol). She said I should always use witch hazel extract (no scent at all). So this is what I use now. For a room or linen spray, however, I think the store witch hazel would be fine.