Phermones? The new Smiley Perfume?

Ilona

Hi all!

So Oprah featured the new Smiley brand perfume in her must buy things. I'd love to get ahold of whatever the active ingredients are. They claim it is Phenylethylamine buy a smell activated version of the chemical.

Anyone have any idea, clues, suppliers? Maybe a pheromone supplier? Anything?

http://www.happytherapy.com/

pho4.jpg

Thanks!

Ilona

That website is a PITA. Never even heard of this smiley stuff. But it must be good since it has Oprah's seal of approval.

What are you going to do, copy it?

Nope. Not to copy.

I love the idea of fragrance that is proven to improve mood. Johnson's has a anti-stress formula lotion that is claiming similar benefits. It's along the aromatherapy lines, and I'd love to learn more about it and see if I can develop my own original product combining stress relieving aromatherapy and whatever else can help induce relaxation.

There are new micro-encapsulated fragrance ingredients that help prolong the staying power of fragance. It's new technology - was featured in Cosmetics & Toiletries magazine last month. Very cool stuff.

ilona

Ilona...

Try working with EO's. Sweet Orange and Tangerine EO's are VERY happy scents. Studies have shown that when these EO's are sprayed in hospital rooms and such... it makes the atmosphere more cheerful and bearable. Lavender EO is calming to frazzled nerves, promoting peace and relaxation. Also wonderful for headaches! You can google the properties of EO's... and get tons of info.

But in my opinion.... ANY fragrance is theraputic. Doesn't have to be EO's. Can be plain... single note FO's. The sense of smell is very powerful. It can bring back memories from the past in a second. It can make you feel good, alert, energized.... but it can also bring to mind...pain, grief, and anger.

People think I'm nuts when I say this. LOL But it's the truth.

For example: I bought this particular scent in a body spray from Victoria's Secret. I loved it... wore it everyday. I was wearing it when I found out that 3 of my family members (my mother, stepfather, and grandmother) were involved in a tragic car accident. I also wore the scent at their funerals. Eventually... I had to give the body spray away... cause when I'd wear it... or even smell it... it would bring back horrible memories of that day. To this day... and it will be three years in January.... I CANNOT smell that scent. The feelings it gives me are horrible.

So... yes... your sense of smell is very powerful. IMO.

And it's how you market the product. If you say it will brighten your mood... people will buy it THINKING that it will brighten up their mood... and guess what? When they smell it..... IT WILL!!! It's all psychological.

Nope. Not to copy.

I love the idea of fragrance that is proven to improve mood. Johnson's has a anti-stress formula lotion that is claiming similar benefits. It's along the aromatherapy lines, and I'd love to learn more about it and see if I can develop my own original product combining stress relieving aromatherapy and whatever else can help induce relaxation.

There are new micro-encapsulated fragrance ingredients that help prolong the staying power of fragance. It's new technology - was featured in Cosmetics & Toiletries magazine last month. Very cool stuff.

ilona

Not wanting to repeat what the others said, but yes citrus scents do cheer people up. other than the one's mentioned above you could also try Bergamot and Neroli, but as another poster mentioned, it is psychological.

Many people associate scents that we may love or hate with diffrent times of their life, when they felt happy or sad, it could be personal....hmm maybe that's why most people like sweet foodie scents (childhood birthday cakes etc...)

BTW i do not know why but that packaging and bottle shape creeps me out...

IMO, It is clever marketing. Aromachology is the scientific study of the effects of fragrances and scents on the mind and behavior.

Aromatherapy—the therapeutic use of essential oils—is often mistakenly reduced to or equated with the concept of “smell things, feel better”.

But to get the therapeutic or healing effect of essential oils on the nervous system the amount inhaled has to be very concentrated, much more concentrated than can be inhaled from a candle of body product.

Thanks for the EO info. I've been looking into that a little bit as well as doing further research on the ingredients in this scent. Basically the actives are the chocolate ingredients that are proved to increase mood (seritonin etc). The perfume uses something chocolate (prolly cocoa extract) as it is listed as a basenote.

Ironically, I have been testing cocoa absolute oils in some candles and body lotions as part of the basic formula in a line of products I'm working on - based on the benefits of chocolate.

Anyway, it's all interesting. I agree that the bottle is a bit cheezy. I wonder if the actual scent is any good?

Best

Ilona