Soaper Ticked Off About Me

SueH

I recently rented a small space in a craft mall and put in body butters, lotion sticks, and lip balms. The owner knew that I made soap also and asked me to bring it in so I did. Another lady has a booth with soaps, perfume oils, and body sprays. My soaps and other products are completely different from hers and are different scents. She voiced her displeasure over my products to the owner. The owner pointed out that there are several different jewelry makers and several booths with flower arrangements so she didn't think it would be a problem to have 2 bath and body booths. I feel kind of bad. What do you think about it? TIA!!

If your stuff is completely different, why do you feel bad? The owner of the place knows best, and I wouldn't give it much more thought than that. I can completely understand the other soaper's frustration too, but if the owner feels that the place is big enough to support both of you then I'd trust that. See how it goes.

I had a little time to kill one day last week while up in the beach area, so I stopped in to check out a craft mall. This wasn't a huge place--maybe 50 vendors at most. There were at least 5 spots offering candles or tarts, maybe more. I remember at least 3 or 4 with b&b stuff. In addition, there were people with booths carrying things like Mia Bella, etc, candles as well as brand name b&b products. There were also multiple other crafts as well. I don't see that it was a problem.

It may not be a problem for you as a shopper but it's one hell of a problem for the vendors. Owners of these stores, as well as people who book shows, often don't seem to realize that having a lot of scents mingling can be very destructive when a potential customer is sniffing the wares. Scented products in close proximity can result in sensory confusion and overload, especially if one of the vendors has product uncovered or worse, burning.

The fact that one product is somewhat different than another makes no difference. One vendor might have pillars while the other has containers. The public only sees candles. One vendor might have cold process soap while the other has melt & pour. The public only sees soap.

To assume the person doing the booking knows best is ridiculous. They are booking spaces. They don't know one scented product from another in most cases.

When booking shows/spaces at malls, one of the first questions a potential vendor should ask is, "how many other (candlemakers/soapers/whatevers) are there?" and if there are others, "how much space will there be between us?"

The same should go for jewelry, purses, etc. Too much of a good thing is a very bad thing from a vendor's perspective. We often see complaints here about someone having done a show where there were umpteen other candlemakers. The complaints are valid.

Well.. I kind of am in the middle on this one. I do understand the position of the other vendor, but at the same time.. I have gone to shows, malls etc, and have enjoyed seeing a SELECTION of products. Yes, they were B&B, candles, jewelery etc, but they all had their own different flare. This is sometimes where packaging can make or break you. As a customer, I like variety. If the area you are selling in is too small to support both of you, you need to listen to your better judgement and do the right or respectful thing. You should be able to look at what you are sellling and be able to compare to the other vendor to determine if you are stepping on their toes or not. Just my 2 cents.Teri

Sue I wouldn't feel bad at all. it's a decision the owner made and was comfortable with. Like you said, your soap products are different with different scents and the remainder of your product is definately different. It sounds to me like the other vendor is afraid of a little competition. I've run into those diva's of the craft world before, their product is the ONLY product. We vend at approx 40 shows and boutiques throughout the year. There are many, many times our paths cross with other hand crafted products that are similiar to ours. I actually thrive on competition. I think it's a good way to me to continue to offer a unique and well crafted product line by staying on top of the latest competitors. :grin2: I was at a show about 5 years ago and 13 vendors of 100, were candles makers. LOL!!! There's a reason we only do juried shows, a good promotor will only allow so many of an item.

It's really no different than having Mrs. Knorrs, Campbell's and Swansons soup all on the same shelf at the grocery store. I see ton's of different shampoo's, conditioners, perfumes and lotions available at local retails stores all on the same shelves. You can smell these aisles a mile away, but it doesn't keep customers away from buying, if anything it lures them in.

Buyers like variety, it's up to us as makers of products to give them something to shop for and provide that variety, which is why so many craft malls, stores and shows allow different types of soaps, candles and body products in. Whether it be the packaging, the different colors or the different styles, something different will catch the buyers eye. Retail stores would go belly up, if they only sold Pantene Shampoo, Vaseline intensive care lotion and not offered any others. I truely have no problem with similiar or even multiple booths selling products that are close to my product line at a show. Heck, put their booth right next to mine. It's usually those who rant and rave about having competion that do the worst. Unfortuantely that attitude shows through on ones face when selling and body language is poor and those things keep buyers away from your booth. Just my two beans....

I couldn't agree with you more SherriLynn.

Consumers like variety just think about your own feelings when you walk into a shop or shopping mall. From a business point of view healthy competition will keep you on your toes. It makes sure that your products are always up to date and in keeping with today's consumer trends.

I feel that people who constantly moan and whine about fellow competitors lack self confidence in not only themselves and their abilities but also in their products. In business you can never afford to become complacent. Do that and it's only a matter of time before some new kid on the block comes along and knocks you off of your pedestal.

Just my two pennies worth.

Ruby

I agree also. whats wrong with a little healthy competion in the business world. I met other candle makers and most of us will talk for hours about candlemaking but some are just stand of ish and snippy. I mean grow up. this sounds like one of those people. i just started a new booth at a new craft market and another candlemaker was so upset she talked the owner into not allowing me to have melts because she had them( she doesnt carry container candles) she also does pillars and i tols the vendor that i would be doing some soon and she promised me i woul dbe able to have them in there. will see:rolleyes2 if someone doesnt cry about it.I hate whiners:mad:

I guess my first question is why is this 'owner' repeating conversations they have had with one 'renter' to other 'renters'?? I would have reservations about what kind of owner this is and they sure don't seem to be very professional! As for having your stuff there too, why feel bad? Like everyone else has said, competition is good and people like variety! If this other renter wants to be pissy, let her, it will only reflect on her and her sales!

I'm a partner in a craft store, and having a selection of the same sort of thing is always a good thing. Just because she was the only soapmaker there, doesn't mean that a person buying soap would buy hers, if she didn't have one that the customers wanted. We have a whole bunch of knitters, and among us, several make hats and mittens and scarves; we have 3 jewellery makers, etc. The only thng we would have a problem with is outright copying of another person's product.

It's usually those who rant and rave about having competion that do the worst. Unfortuantely that attitude shows through on ones face when selling and body language is poor and those things keep buyers away from your booth. Just my two beans....

Exactly! Pissing and moaning about how many other candlemakers are in the show, or the flea, or whatever... pffft. The only one's NOT pissing and moaning are the ones who are doing well. And if you're not doing well, perhaps you need to rethink your style. Competition will keep you on your toes. It will keep you at the top of your game.

Customers want variety. If this weren't true, there wouldn't be a hundred different places in a mall to buy a pair of jeans.

There's a reason we only do juried shows, a good promotor will only allow so many of an item.

I agree with this statement 100%+. Which, of course, is my point. It somewhat contradicts the rest of your post.

Having done shows for well over 10 years, some years every weekend, some shows juried, some not, some shows huge, small quite small, I've seen much "competition" come and go. Those who book juried shows are generally much different than those booking spaces at a Crafter's Mall. There is a greater emphasis on quality. Crafter's Malls are often owned by a group of investors who never set foot in the mall and they leave the renting of spaces to minimum wage or volunteer employees who work in exchange for free space. I've seen everything from Ty Beanie Babies to high quality candles at Crafter's Malls. Of course I've seen the same thing at so-called "craft" shows, too, unfortuntely, lol.

But we're not talking about craft shows. We're talking about permanent placement in a fairly small store where variety will keep people coming in week after week. In large shopping malls, you will generally find Victoria's Secret on the opposite end and far away from Bath & Body Works. There's a reason for that and without question, a high degree of professional marketing skills is responsible for that decision.

Fifty vendors is a small group, and a small space can only hold so much scented product, no matter how differently it is packaged or displayed. If I were the other soaper, I would be wondering if management realized that. I would definitely let management know how I felt. It has nothing to do with so-called "pissing and moaning". I notice one person posting to this thread was unable to keep her store running for more than a few months. This is not a marketing opinion I would place value in. Those with a long and successful track record in this industry would know the benefits and pitfalls of the topic of this thread. An opinion from someone who has done this for years, as you have, SherriLynn, is a valid opinion and I respect it.

www.StuffSunshineLikes.com

I also have my candles in a local craft mall and for a while I was the only candlemaker there. We don't make a ton of money but it pays the rent on our space every month and gets our name out there. A couple of months ago, another candlemaker moved in. Actually, someone on this board. She's become a good friend in this industry and I wouldn't hesitate to point people to her (and have done so in the past) if I don't have what they're looking for. I make paraffin candles and she makes soy. I was unsure what would happen to my sales when she moved in because she's been doing this for a bit longer than I have and has a rather large following. After a couple months, I haven't noticed any change in my sales at all.

Even though I'm talking about soy vs. paraffin candles here, it's the same thing with soaps. Even if you're both doing CP, HP or M&P doesn't matter. I highly doubt you're both using the same recipes and/or fragrances.

My suggestion would be to have the owner talk to this other person and ask her to give it a little time to see if it hurts her or not. Heck, the competition might even help her.

I pretty much agree with what has been said here. I think you should not worry about who is ticked at you! Just work your business, have a great attitude, awesome customer service and you will be fine! If this other soaper is ticked then oh well, who the heck cares..her bitterness will show and it will not impress customers at all.

And to be honest with you, I prefer to see vendors of the same type at shows I visit so I can see the variety and not feel "stuck" with just one type of item. I can view the items and make my decision on what I would like to buy and from whom, I wouldn't want to only see one soaper, one jeweler, one cafter, etc. It would make the show very very boring! Remember there is always one in a bunch so those you just have to ignore and move on. Bitterness breeds ugliness and you don't want or need that in your life so just put on a smile and go on about your business and leave the ticked off soaper to stew in her own juices. If she says anything to you simply say, well I am trying to make a living like you are, if you have any concerns you need to speak to the person in charge of renting out spaces and then smile at your next customer and sell sell sell!

ANgi

I don't see a problem with having more than one candlemaker. Competition is good for business. Alot of the stores that carry my candles also carry other local candlemakers and even commercial candle companies. I used to care because my prices were a bit higher than the rest but my candles and other products outsell the rest. Now the storeowners are starting to carry more of my items because they sell. I wouldn't worry about it. It seems the other candlemaker feels inferior. Also your products might look and burn better.

I agree with this statement 100%+. Which, of course, is my point. It somewhat contradicts the rest of your post.

Having done shows for well over 10 years, some years every weekend, some shows juried, some not, some shows huge, small quite small, I've seen much "competition" come and go. Those who book juried shows are generally much different than those booking spaces at a Crafter's Mall. There is a greater emphasis on quality. Crafter's Malls are often owned by a group of investors who never set foot in the mall and they leave the renting of spaces to minimum wage or volunteer employees who work in exchange for free space. I've seen everything from Ty Beanie Babies to high quality candles at Crafter's Malls. Of course I've seen the same thing at so-called "craft" shows, too, unfortuntely, lol.

But we're not talking about craft shows. We're talking about permanent placement in a fairly small store where variety will keep people coming in week after week. In large shopping malls, you will generally find Victoria's Secret on the opposite end and far away from Bath & Body Works. There's a reason for that and without question, a high degree of professional marketing skills is responsible for that decision.

Fifty vendors is a small group, and a small space can only hold so much scented product, no matter how differently it is packaged or displayed. If I were the other soaper, I would be wondering if management realized that. I would definitely let management know how I felt. It has nothing to do with so-called "pissing and moaning". I notice one person posting to this thread was unable to keep her store running for more than a few months. This is not a marketing opinion I would place value in. Those with a long and successful track record in this industry would know the benefits and pitfalls of the topic of this thread. An opinion from someone who has done this for years, as you have, SherriLynn, is a valid opinion and I respect it.

www.StuffSunshineLikes.com

I agree with you ;) EXCEPT that I think craft malls are for many vendors, whether it be selling the same type of craft or different. Customers know upon entering a craft mall that there are booths from wall to wall containing different styles of pretty much the same thing. I don't know about flea markets...don't frequent them, but that's what craft malls are all about. Unfortunately, there are going to be "those" types of people mentioned by SueH that are very concerned about competion, and IMO, unless you make your products with dollar store vaseline, you don't have anything to worry about :)

Competition is good for the soul....AND the consumer.

If the fat cat that had (or wants) the monopoly looses business from the new kid on the block, than she needs to step it up and compete, or tuck her tail between her legs, count her losses and move on. With any luck, she will find some other schmuck manager that will offer her a monopoly and she can sit on her tush doing business as usual. Yawn

Free enterprise AND competition keeps people on their toes....and quite honestly, you are doing her a favor by being there. She will take a closer look at her own business, blow the dust off and COMPETE!

People that are afraid of competition either have something to hide, worry that their product/packaging/value is inferior, or lack the enthusiasm and energy to do REAL business.

We have all heard the excuses before.....but thats all they are...excuses. Decide who you want to be and go for it. No two companies are ever the same, anyway. Let the consumer decide who they want to spend their hard earned money with. I would HATE not having options wherever I choose to shop and would think that any manager/owner of a "several business" location has their head up their ass if I wasn't offered any.

Only one or two places to buy "scented product" ??? Ewwww

Who ever heard of such? Thank God scented products are wildly popular these days!! 2007 is so much nicer than the years we had to "settle" for what was available. Hooray for options!

IF there is not enough business for you both...may the best woman win!

JMHO, of course.

Well, I agree with a little competition ! The owner of the market place I have my shoppe at PUT a woman who sells the same thing as I do right across the aisle in front of me! :laugh2: the only thing she makes (supposedly) is her candles but not all of them. I MAKE EVERYTHING in my store, candles, incense, fragrance oils, body & message oils, bath & body, oh and my gift baskets. Actually my sales increase every week whether she is open or closed!

But this girl teamed up with the biz owner beside me and they have spread rumors on me, bashed me, told lies on me, and when I started re-modeling my shoppe, she did the same to hers and copied what I did to mine. :laugh2:

but I just ignored her!!!!! I have better things to do while open for business than to stoop to her level! :rolleyes2

So I wouldn't worry about it! Competition is good! It keeps us motivated to make our products BETTER and not commercialized or petroleum-based!!!!

All of my products are 99% all natural, my sticks are made out of 100% bamboo and tree gum to adhere it to the stick! My bath & body products are made from all natural oils, my wax is palm wax.

She can't tell her customers that! I have had her customers to quit buying from her cause she doesn't interact with her customers, plus when they ask what is in her products, she doesn't tell them!

I see her moving out in the near future, not that I am praying for it but the trend she is setting for herself and her business.

Competition IS good. I've always thought that those who are afraid of competition are those who have something to hide or are not confident in their own products. You can advertise that you make the "Worlds Best" but you'd better be able to put your money where your mouth is if people ask about ingredients, or what makes it the best. If you have pride in your products, and use quality ingredients, then you should have nothing to worry about!