CP newbie question! How to determine how much fits in my mold?

Lifelace

Hi guys. I have yet to make my first batch of CP soap but I'm slowly getting everything prepared! I do have a question which hopefully isn't a stupid one! :) Say I have a soap recipe or even want to make my own using SoapCalc how do I know how much it makes or rather, that it will fit nicely in my mold? For example I have a 3n1 mold from Mr. Doright that says makes a full 3lbs of soap now how do I figure out if a recipe will fit in there? Man I feel dumb asking this! LOL The recipes I've seen don't say "Makes X-pounds of Soap" so if I have a recipe do I add up all the oils AND lye AND water and that will give me the pounds it makes? Then how do I know this will fit in a certain mold? How can I measure how much POUNDS a mold will hold? Help!! I'm confused! LOL :) Any help would be appreciated!

Well, if it is a 3 pound soap mold then it should hold 3 pounds of soap yeah? I imagine so :). So what I do is get the recipe of all the oils and such, go to soapcalc and put in my 3 pounds up top (where it says oil weight) and then my oils and percentages and it will give you the exact amounts you should use for your 3 lbs of soap. (or am I way off base here? I hope not cause that is how I use the soapcalc :shocked2: )Now I have 2 molds that I got from Walgreen's that are actually domino boxes but I have no clue how much soap they are going to hold so I am actually inputing only a 1 pound soap recipe to start there to see how much they hold. Hope that helps a bit.

Angi

Sometimes when a purchased mold says "3 pounds", it can mean 3 pounds total, not just 3 pounds oils. Why, I never know, because most soapers talk in oils only.

A way to estimate how much oil will fit into a mold is to take length * width * height of the pour * .4 : that will give you the number of ounces. Divide by 16 to get pounds.