Home made window coverings

Jeana

Do any of you have some good ideas for making your own window coverings for bedroom windows?

I'm tired of drapes, and blinds seem so clunky. I have been thinking about making my own roman blinds, but I don't understand the patterns.

If anyone can give me some ideas, I would love it.

Thanks

I have a book that tells you how to make the roman shades. I was going to make them for our addition (living room and kitchen combined), but the fabric I liked was $25 a yard on sale (YIKES). I need to check at lowes to see if we can afford custom made shades (I only need 36" long, most are over that).

I think you have to be pretty precise with the placement of the rings and such. I am sure it could be done, depends on how much of a perfectionist ya are, LOL!

Steph

I'm working on some now. If you go to Joannes fabrics they have a display on how to make them.

I chose to get the solar blocking material so it was a lot more than I wanted to spend. I guess I am saving about $100 or more by doing them myself. Especially since I haven't seen anyone offer the solar material option when I was shopping for them.

So far everything is working. I stink at sewing though. If they work out, I will post a picture.