So excited, found Lye locally at Rona...I think!

Lifelace

Hi girls! I know you'll all understand my excitement! :) This is in response to my other thread about Sodium Hydroxide. I tried to find a way to edit my other post but couldn't so I figured I would start a new one. This might help other girls in Canada who are looking for Lye locally!

So PLEASE tell me I lucked out and found the good stuff. I don't have my digi cam here, lent it to my mom on vacation but I can describe the can. I found it in the drain stuff section at Rona a hardware store here, they JUST opened so it never occured to me to look there, plus I thought only Home Hardware carried lye for some reason. It's a white plactic can (with a black, yellow, green and red label) that says Super Drain (Company is Albert made for Inovx Servipro Inc) It says Granular and <<Contains: Sodium Hydroxide>> with no other ingredients listed! :) There were other drain things there that contained Sodium Hydroxide and other things too but this one only says on the back that the contents are Sodium Hydroxide. It was 4.95CAD for 1KG Much better than the 4.75CAD a pound plus shipping and HAZMAT fee I was gonna order! Yay!! Please tell me I did good?! I really want to try CP soap and see how I like it, this way I can try but not much expense. I also bought a pair of Neoprene coated rubber gloves and will buy goggles with splash guard, face mask and apron....I already have a 3lbs mold from Mr. Doright and am pretty sure I can find oils here to use, saw some pure coconut oil in a big jar that looks like white butter so I think I can use that right? Ok sorry for the ramblings! I have lots of books to read and wanna be sure I'm well prepared but I think I'm well on my way to making my first CP batch!! :)

So this lye is good right??

Melany

Melany i went to a Rona recently opened in my neighborhood and saw the product you're talking about. As you said the label lists the ingredient as sodium hydroxide only. But i noticed there is a phone # to reach the company. If you still have doubts give them a call. I don't know which Rona has the right price but yours sure is cheaper!. The 1 KG plastic can was 8.96$ at my Rona. Maybe it's time to stock up ;)

I also found a drain opener in a local hardware store, and it said that it had sodium hydroxide in it...but when I checked the MSDS sheet, it did have another ingredient. So, my advise is to find the MSDS sheet online or ask the company to forward you one just to make sure. I'm in about the same place you are with soapmaking...just getting everything ready.

Cheers & Good Luck,

Jodie

• 14 years later...