So Many FOs

Being new to the business, I am overwhelmed by all of the choices for FOs and I am trying to narrow down to the ones I will carry. On an average, how many FOs do you seasoned chandlers offer? Thanks in advance for the info.

Hi,

That is why we all get the bug..the addiction bug!! You just keep on buying and buying! I think it's a disease!! I think I'm now up to about 175-200 different scents. Which is so out of control. Carrying about 40 different scents would be alot nicer. That way you have a nice selection but it's not so overwhelming! But good luck on that!! Have a great day!

HTH!

Michele

I think you will find me in the minority on this one but I never carry more than 25 scents at a time....I have 10 that I carry all year round. I just add to those depending on the season.

At one time I carried 65 and was overwhelmed by it. In 2000 I decided to cut back and am glad I did. I have less money tied up in my business and found it did not hurt my sales.

Something else to consider is try to keep your suppliers to a minimum. The more suppliers you use the more money you have tied up in shipping costs.

Currently I have 5 suppliers...cut back from 12!

Good luck with your choices!

On an average, how many FOs do you seasoned chandlers offer?

I'm sorry, but that information is classified because it could be used against me in a court of law by my husband.:laugh2:

Shhhhhhh. He has no need to know some things...:laugh2:

OK, Sydnee, I'll behave!

I think you are wise to try to limit what you carry. I keep TRYING but these folks here keep telling us about NEW ones... like passing CAKE under the nose of a dieter... ARGH!!!!!:grin2::grin2::grin2:

A small company might decide to specialize in one sort of product... they wouldn't have as large a product line, but what they DID have, they could concentrate upon fully! I have seen many candle sites who offer a very limited fragrance line, but they seem to be doing well.

Best of luck to ya, both in deciding on your fragrances and resisting the implulse to buy them ALL!!!!:grin2:

You know, you "say" you'll only offer 30-35, but wait, that # will slowly crawl higher and higher! LOL Then you'll be offering them on the classies here! Yea, I've tried to cut back, but can't, it's just not physically possible. :laugh2:

Good luck and see ya in the classies!:grin2:

I'm sorry, but that information is classified because it could be used against me in a court of law by my husband.:laugh2:

Shhhhhhh. He has no need to know some things...:laugh2:

LMAO - I think I married his brother. lol :laugh2:

OK, Sydnee, I'll behave!

I think you are wise to try to limit what you carry. I keep TRYING but these folks here keep telling us about NEW ones... like passing CAKE under the nose of a dieter... ARGH!!!!!:grin2::grin2::grin2:

A small company might decide to specialize in one sort of product... they wouldn't have as large a product line, but what they DID have, they could concentrate upon fully! I have seen many candle sites who offer a very limited fragrance line, but they seem to be doing well.

Best of luck to ya, both in deciding on your fragrances and resisting the implulse to buy them ALL!!!!:grin2:

Yeah good luck.....If you want to keep your numbers small do not... I repeat DO NOT visit the fragrance section of this board. Especially the threads started by Jakalex and Scented. :laugh2:

Yes, aim for quality over quantity.

I try to carry a variety of good throwers (including ones I don't really personally like) to around 24 - but it does creep up to 36 when I add my seasonals. I only consider adding aromas if someone specifically requests it. And if I find a Great new floral I'll discontinue one of the old ones. But I'm always testing new ones...so still a FOHO!

I own probably over a 100 FO's but I stock for selling around 20. That is the most I can keep up with doing this by myself. At one time I had over 50 but I discovered that customers would be overwhelmed at the choices and after walking around the tables over and over they couldn't make up their minds and would leave to "think about it." I do tell customers to let me know if they are looking for something other than what I have stocked. That way I don't have to stock candles that I may only sell one or two of occasionaly.

I stock 25-30 at any given time. Like most people on this board I have ones that are *seasonal*. I will pull ones that didn't sell well in order to justify something new.

And I do agree, it becomes confusing for people. Be sure to stock the *basics* and pump it up for fall/winter.

Well 6+ years ago I started out with only a mere 15 fragrances and today I have well over 200 so it has taken me that long to stock them and keep them stocked! :laugh2:

I am only gonna carry maybe 20 - 30 scents for my jar candles but the votives and tarts WATCH OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh2: I love making them. NOW that is an addiction! *faint*

I found my pineapple rubber mold and kept thinking that would be a cute wax tart cause these look like whole pineapples not the chunks, but I do have the chunk one!:grin2: oh boy I see no sleep coming in the near future!!!! :laugh2:

But it will be your choice on what you want to carry, start out small then grow as you go!!!!!:grin2:

Guest Candelishis

I started out with only about 15 scents. I swore I was going to keep it under 20 that I really liked, and have that "signature" of quality, not quantity. However, of course I buy tons and tons of FO's, just because they sound like they smell sooooo good :drool: ...then I make myself some tarts with the new stuff, or give a container to a friend to test out and let me know if she likes it, and then of course you have to add it to your line, because it just smells too good....LOL...I now carry about 30 scents, and add just 3-5 seasonal scents for each season. I'm not the most organized person, so trying to keep track of any more than the 30 I have now is extra stressful!

Yes, it's like that famous saying

"So many fo's....So little time!"

I like many, many others thought I could limit to 10-15 scents, but I'm out of control now. Not a week goes by that something doesn't peak my interest...and my checkbook. What can I say...I'm just another fo ho!

Hi! Yes I completely agree with all of you! I have 32 scents now and I just started selling this month! Yikes! But everything sounds sooooo good and when I get it it smells sooooo good!! I know I have to tell myself no but it really is an addiction! But I love it!!!! Have fun!!

Angie Hight

Moneypenny's Soysations