I need advice on aluminum pillar molds

I've never used them before and am getting ready to order a few. My question is...how do you wick them and do they have a hole in the bottom? I know this is probably a silly question but the ones I've seen don't seem to have the platform on the bottom. I can only imagine using a wick pin but that wouldn't work on the ones with a concave top.

I haven't made pillars in years but my nephew has asked me to make a unity candle for his wedding in a month and I got rid of my molds a long time ago. As a rule, pillars don't sell here but I had several requests last winter so I think I'm gonna add them back and maybe offer three sizes and thought I would go with aluminum to avoid rust.

Thanks in advance for any help ya'll can give me. The pillars in the gallery are a great inspiration!

Hi, I always wick my molds, in case of concave tops I put sealer and metal tape and the mold sit stiil straight. If it's flat I use a lid of something upside down or a couple of chopsticks as "base" and put the mold upon it.

You can use the lid even with the concave tops, if you put a big ball of sealer and the mold bends in some way.

hth

good work!

I've wicked my aluminum pillars both ways. When I don't use a wick pin (for my square molds), I set them on a rack that my husband made so that they remain level. I use a wick pin for my round molds and they work great. They don't affect the concave tops because you are inserting the pin from the outside of the mold.

I use jiffy wickers, much cheaper than buying a bunch of wick pins! OR you can buy some foam and washers from home depot. I use bamboo skewers to secure the wick, no need for expensive bars. I have concave molds and like another poster said put them on a rack so they lay flat. Here is what they look like, but you can make your own for pennies.

http://www.genwax.com/candles/___0___P0069756.htm

Does using the foam and washer keep the mold from leaking? There's where I run into alot of problems some times. I use masking tape on mine the heavy duty kind and most of the time i have no problems with leaking mostly when I pour at hotter temps unless I have it taped up really good.

I think I'm going to try the metal tape technique it should withhold heat better.

I've also tried the plumbers putty with my wick pins. I don't know if it was I didn't have enough putty around the wick pin or what but it leaked I still had to put tape around the wick pin. Am I doing something wrong?

Does using the foam and washer keep the mold from leaking? There's where I run into alot of problems some times. I use masking tape on mine the heavy duty kind and most of the time i have no problems with leaking mostly when I pour at hotter temps unless I have it taped up really good.

I think I'm going to try the metal tape technique it should withhold heat better.

I've also tried the plumbers putty with my wick pins. I don't know if it was I didn't have enough putty around the wick pin or what but it leaked I still had to put tape around the wick pin. Am I doing something wrong?

Yes, it helps with leaking. I've never had a leak with the foam & metal washers. The metal tape works too, I bought some used molds and use them w/o leaks too. I pefer the jiffy wicker since I can wick in the mold.

I have 3x6 concave ones

I put my wick pin in the hole, put a glob of plummers putty over the base of the wick pin and put 2 pieces of metal tape, one going one way and the other going the other way like a cross.

I have poured them with no leaks, as a matter of fact, I put them 3 mins in freezer after they firm up, turn them upside down and they slide out, leaving the wick pin in.

If I have to do more of the same scent, I just repour again, I don't whipe them out or retape, just repour and they hold up from leaks. I have only reused it 3 times in a row, never tried 4 before redoing the putty and tape.

HTH

I've used the aluminum molds for years, and settled in on a method of sealing them without the use of puttys or tapes, which I grew to hate after my first leaker. I vowed that would never happen again, and it hasn't. I use a rubber washer, passing it through a solid bar across the top of the mold, and pulling it taut. No more putty, tapes, gooey messes, and no more leaks.

Fredron

I've used the aluminum molds for years, and settled in on a method of sealing them without the use of puttys or tapes, which I grew to hate after my first leaker. I vowed that would never happen again, and it hasn't. I use a rubber washer, passing it through a solid bar across the top of the mold, and pulling it taut. No more putty, tapes, gooey messes, and no more leaks.

Fredron

Your process sounds intriguing but I am having a hard time picturing it. (Forgive me for being a little bit "slow"...I am still very new to this business) Could you provide further explaination? How do you pass a rubber washer through a solid bar? Thank you.