??? about pricing my soaps

Okay, I have been selling my soaps for almost a year now and have them priced at $4.00 each or 3 for $10. I have sold a few, but not as many as I would like. They are between 3.6 and 4 oz, for the most part. I was thinking of making them around 3.5 oz and selling them for $3.50 each or the same 3 for $10 deal. We live in a smaller town, but I want to get some product moving. I would still make a decent profit off of them.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

steph

Sometimes it takes awhile to get your sales going. Do you advertise in any way or just go off word of mouth? Do you do craft shows? How do you get your product out there? Exposure oftentimes is the key and not so much price. I had a woman who sold some of my stuff in her store for 3x what I charge for that same item in my store, tell me that she can sell a $15,000 horse faster than a $150 horse. Sometimes if you price too cheap, folks tend to think that your product is then cheap as well.

What if any improvements can you make to your packaging to make it stand out more, be more inviting? Sometimes a change in packaging can help.

I always give out free samples which helps a lot. Some folks are very hesitant about using a handmade bar so samples will oftentimes help them get over that - once they use a nice bar of soap, many people won't go back to commercial.

I haven't advertised yet, mainly because I haven't had the money. I am hoping to put an ad in the local classifieds within the next week or so. I have my stuff in my mom's sewing shop and in a local salon downtown. I just now put my lotions and body washes out, so I am hoping those will help me get some money for more candle product and advertising.

Right now I am using the Dan's bands for wrapping my soap. I will try and get a picture up for any suggestions on improving that. I had started out with boxes, but I like the Dan's bands for showing the colors of the soap.

I think my prices are fair, if you look at my website, I have them priced the same as I do at my locations.

Thanks.

Steph

I checked out your website, and your soaps are really lovely! I think the previous poster is right, you might actually do better to up your prices.

Also, does your town have any sort of tailgate or farmers market? I live in a small town too, and the tailgate market here has been amazing for our soap sales - we've only just started this summer, and we're getting repeat customers and big orders for things like weddings - I definitely recommend going the "Saturday market" route if you have one to try out. Hand out cards with each purchase that have your website on them (people who buy from me always ask if I have a card or a website, which sadly I don't yet, but handing out cards with each sale will also boost your online sales)... Anyway, good luck!

Sarah

I use Dans Bands and think there is nothing wrong with them. Also I hope you did not take that I meant there was something wrong with your packaging. I was just throwing out suggestions for areas you could consider that might improve sales.

I think you just need to give it more time. In the places where you have your products, give them samples to give out when customers make purchases whether they purchase your products or not. Remember, we sell a luxury and not an essential item. So you have to give people a reason to want to buy your stuff. Samples can help with that.

Thanks everyone.

Meredith, I didn't take your message the wrong way. Trust me, I have thought long and hard about my packaging and I like the way the Dan's Bands showcase my soap and protect it. I guess I would just like to see some profit coming in so I can purchase more supplies with my checking as opposed to putting in on the CC (or at least knowing I have the money to pay when the CC bill comes).

My dad just finished up a little hutch to put in my mom's shop, so once I get things rolling with my candle testing, I will work on getting stuff around for that.

Any more ideas are welcomed!

Steph

Steph,

We're in the same area and my bars are just about the same size as yours and our pricing (without us discussing it ) are exactly the same. I don't know of any farmers markets (wish I did). I'd like to try one also. I bet once to fall season starts your customers will begin buying more. Good luck.

Glo