lining w/silicon sealant

Ruina

I found a thread on the dish on applying Kitchen & Bath silicon sealant to wooden molds. This would eliminate having to lined them. Anyone tried that? I applied it to one mold & couldn't get it smooth enough. Was wondering how I'll get rid of those bumps & lines from my bars?

DH just turned his hand to making his first soap mold and since I'd been following this thread on the Dish, I naturally couldn't help pointing it out to him :grin2: . Imagine my surprise when he ended up buying everything needed and methodically siliconed the mold. I made one batch with it and being a 'virgin' mold, expected a bit of sticking (I do HP.) I was suprised that all but one side came away clean and that only needed a bit of firm nudging. The log was perfect. I have a batch cooking at this moment to give it a second try. Will post back tomorrow when I got for the second attempt at unmolding.

Rena

DH just turned his hand to making his first soap mold and since I'd been following this thread on the Dish, I naturally couldn't help pointing it out to him :grin2: . Imagine my surprise when he ended up buying everything needed and methodically siliconed the mold. I made one batch with it and being a 'virgin' mold, expected a bit of sticking (I do HP.) I was suprised that all but one side came away clean and that only needed a bit of firm nudging. The log was perfect. I have a batch cooking at this moment to give it a second try. Will post back tomorrow when I got for the second attempt at unmolding.

Rena

Was he able to get it to come out nice & smooth?

Well, back after unmolding log #2. Everything worked smoothly excepting the same stubborn side, as before so I'm thinking he may not have put as good a layer there as one the other pieces. So now we know what he'll be doing this weekend. But otherwise, I'm so happy to have come across that post. This sure beats the heck out of lining molds. BTW, anyone ever try using the craft foam. I'd like to give that method a try also, but have no idea which type of foam to use.

Rena

BTW, anyone ever try using the craft foam. I'd like to give that method a try also, but have no idea which type of foam to use.

Rena

Glad it's working out for you. There is another thread at the Dish about the foam...lots of people have been getting craters in their soap using it.

I've not tried it myself. I use my Uplands and Kelseis, so no need here.

Could you use one of those plastic things carpenters use to spackle? Not sure what they are called, maybe a spackling tool. They come in various widths, if you could find one about the same width as your mold it might work for ya. You can usually get the little white plastic ones in the paint section at wal-mart for less than $1.

I use one to smooth out some wall filler before I painted the walls in my last apartment. Somebody had been really rough on the walls. I bet the neighbors were glad to see them move out.LOL

Glad it's working out for you. There is another thread at the Dish about the foam...lots of people have been getting craters in their soap using it.

I've not tried it myself. I use my Uplands and Kelseis, so no need here.

I'd love to be able to use the Uplands or Kelsei's. I've read so many good things about them, but unfortunately, my bars are a bit bigger than those produced by most molds and my customers weren't happy when I mentioned moving to a more conventional sized bar.

Putty knife? Yeah, tried that but when I got the bottom smooth, I'd messed up the sides trying to get the bottom smooth all the way to the sides. KWIM? Bah humbug! I'm just not that handy. Unlike Wildangel, I don't have a DH. :sad2:

Putty knife? Yeah, tried that but when I got the bottom smooth, I'd messed up the sides trying to get the bottom smooth all the way to the sides. KWIM? Bah humbug! I'm just not that handy. Unlike Wildangel, I don't have a DH. :sad2:

Why not do the bottom first, let it dry well, then do the sides.

Ok, finally used my silicon'd mold. I placed a piece of freezer paper to line down 1 side, across bottom & up the other side. That way I had something to tug, just in case the soap stuck. That worked perfectly.

Rena, how is the lining holding up. I just lined one of my boxes, but the silicone looks like it wants to come out of the mold. I'm gonna try it tomorrow and see how it works.

The liner is holding up great, so far. Just turned out another batch yesterday and it seems to be getting better with each use. The first time I used it, the liner looked liked it wanted to peel up, but not since. I'm really loving this method :yay: .

BTW, anyone ever try using the craft foam. I'd like to give that method a try also, but have no idea which type of foam to use.

Rena

I use a TOG mold with the craft foam liner and it works great for me. No craters. I believe Paul gets his foam from Wal*Mart and I think it's thinner than the stuff at Michaels.

Actually CareBear, I buy in bulk from a online wholesale source. But, Wal-Mart does carry the same foamie sheet I buy in bulk. I go through a lot of neon green 2mm Darice Foam in my TOG Molds! Your new TOG 6 Bar Wire Log Cutter shoud be to you Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest with more liners inside the box for your TOG 10" Dual Log/Slab Mold. My saying is "It's built like a "tank.":laugh2:

Paul....