diyestores very unprofessional

tammyc

Has anyone else had a bad experience with them? I have a business account with micro-business (a state agency that helps with business start ups) In order to withdraw my money from them I have to request a payment to be made to the place I am making a purchase from. They require the business' EIN for W9 purposes. I signed up for a website with diyestores in April and used the send check option for payment. I emailed the owner and asked for her EIN. This is not an unusual request to make. She emailed me and said she was a sole proprietor and did not have one. Micro-business said I would need her ss# if she did not have an EIN. I emailed her back with that request and have not heard from her since. I can understand her not wanting to give out her ss#, that is why most people get an EIN. I have had to give my EIN on several occasions and I am a very small business. To make a long story short; micro-business finally agreed to send a check anyway. That was 2 weeks ago. I still have not heard from her. I have emailed her twice with no response. So now she has my money on her terms and she still has not issued my website. I guess I am going to have to contact micro-business and see if she has cashed the check. If not I will have them put a stop payment on it and go elsewhere for webhosting. If she has cashed it I guess I am screwed. I guess I shouldn't have fought so hard for them to send a check. Oh well, I just needed to vent. I am not a happy camper right now.

I'm sorry you're having so many problems with them. I hope you're able to work things out. I've mostly heard good things about them. So other than being cautious about handing out her SSN, I'm surprised by this.

Ouch, that sucks. As far as the EIN, I got one so I would not have to use my SSN--you can apply online, very easy. I would also check with micro-business, the delay may be with them--if she hasn't received the check then she probably doesn't feel she has a relationship with you.

I agree, I would not give out my ss# either. That is why you need an EIN. It takes 10 online to get. I know because I had to get one. The problem I have is that she stopped all communication with me. Now she has my money and I still have not heard from her. I was notified by micro-business the day the check was sent. That was 2 weeks ago. I can not believe she has not received the check yet. I have completed all of the preliminaries. I registered an account, I completed the form that was email after registration regarding layout and email and such, and I registered a domaine name through her. I would consider that a business relationship. I find it very unprofessional to completely break off communication because someone requested an EIN. I couldn't even get a checking account for my business without an EIN.

Again, I understand about the ss#. However, what would be the harm in a curtesy email saying, I prefer not to give that out. There is a little more to the story. I skipped over some of it, trying to keep it short. For instance, my contact at micro-business agreed at one point to process the request without any numbers if she could talk to the owner to establish business legitimacy. I email her with this information once asking for her telephone number, and once giving her micro-businesses telephone number. I did not receive a response to those email either. My contact at micro-business got her telephone number from information and left two messages on her machine. She did not receive a return call. This all happened over the period of a month and a half, it seems she could have found the time to return an email or two. Again, I don't know why I fought so hard for them to send the check. I have seen diyestores mentioned favorably so many times on this board, that I just assumed once she received payment she would contact me.

Does anyone know of another website builder that includes shopping cart? I do not know html so I need a site like diyestores that allows you to bring your graphics in the correct formatt and use the builder.

I have had no problems with them, but they are not accepting "new signups" now. Maybe they closed signups before they could get your check. Shelly comes to this board often. Maybe she will see your post. Carole

I haven't had any problems with them and they've been great to work with so far. I do remember reading they were having a graphics convention recently. I just thought that was why they were not accepting new sign ups.

Even if they are not accepting new signups at this time; they were when I started the registration process. As I said, I completed all of the preliminaries. Also I did see the convention noted on the website, that was back when all of this started. It should be over by now. I hope she does see this post!!! Maybe it will prompt some sort of response!!!

I have to agree with you Tammy, if you have confirmed the check--then that is not acceptable treatment. The check should have been returned or some communication attempt made on their part. Sorry you are going through this, it is very disappointing when you are trying to startup and it should be an exciting time for you.

If you're running a business, you gotta know you're going to have to give out your SSN periodically if you don't have an EIN. It's no great surprise. We here in CA don't need an EIN unless we're going to have employees, but I didn't relish giving out my SSN either. Hense, the EIN. It's fast and free.

Kelly

Sorry this happened to you! I am surprised that DIY does not have an EIN. How do they do their business taxes with out one? I guess the rules are different in every state.

It is my understanding many people here use them, but IMO the fees are too outrageous, however I hear they are a little more user friendly if you are doing it yourself hence the name"DIY".

Am I reading correctly that a government agency for start up business gave DIY a check anyway? Is this a business loan or grant money you are speaking about or you just of sent her a bank check drawn from your personal business account?

:confused:

Did you ever think maybe they just want to stay under the radar from the IRS and they are just blowing you off?

However you slice it if what you say is true then regardless of their reasons they are dead wrong and owe you an apology and a refund ASAP.

Doesn't DIY have employees who work for them? I thought I read before about them talking about people they have that can help their customers with their sites? If they have employees they are not 'sole proprietors' and have to have a federal #. I may be way off here, but I thought by the sound of it there were people working for them.

TammyC if you do a search here about DIY I think you will find plenty of things good and bad said about them...maybe you already did. Very unprofessional of them for not getting you your site that you paid for!

Wow! Anyone that I do business with I always ask for a Tax ID#, business license, keep copies of business transactions, or EIN and get it for tax purposes. DIYestores has alot of business websites doesn't anyone claim the webhost fees on their taxes?Hmmmm!!!

Wow! I know if you have them or anyone as a webhost you need their EIN, SS#, Tax ID number or whatever to claim the monthly fees on your taxes. What is everyone that has a website thru them doing????? I hope you get your issues with them resolved. Good Luck!.....

Just my opinion because I don't know a thing about DIY but naming names on a public forum before a problem is resolved is very unprofessional as well. It would have been better done through PM's or emailsMarihttp://everlastingimage.vstore.ca/

That would be very bad for me. I just asked the question on their Client Community. Hope not true. Carole

Hey Bug, this would be bad for me too. What happens if they do go out of business? Are we warned first? Do we have to start all over? :confused:

Just my opinion because I don't know a thing about DIY but naming names on a public forum before a problem is resolved is very unprofessional as well. It would have been better done through PM's or emailsMarihttp://everlastingimage.vstore.ca/

She has tried that to no avail. She is not getting any response, that is the nature of her complaint. If I gave my money to a business, got no response, I would give others a heads-up as well. It is very frustrating when stuff like this happens, especially when it can be avoided.