Beeswax

I contacted a local apiary (could probably contact several more but they aren't exactly easy to find.)

This one sells unfiltered wax for $2.50/pound and I pick it up myself.

Is this likely to be the best deal I'll get? I've seen some godawful prices for beeswax.

Kelly

That's not a bad price for unfiltered........I can get it for about $2.00/lb. around me. However, the time it takes to clean it thoroughly is way too time consuming for me right now so I'd rather pay the $4.00/lb. and have it ready to use!!

Well, I looked that up. It looks like you melt the wax slowly, possibly IN water over a double boiler (or in the oven), then when it cools and hardens, the impurities are left in the water and then you repeat until the wax is clean. It's something along those lines.

It's easier to put the wax in a double thickness of pantyhose (put one leg inside another) before you put it in a big pot of boiling water. This way the impurities stay inside the pantyhose and you just throw them away. I usually do this a couple times with the wax to make sure all the debris is out and the wax is very clean. You could also use several thickness of cheese cloth.

Or you can go down to your hardware store and get metal mesh, that way you don't have to wait for the wax to harden to filter it again. The tighter the mesh the better.

I pay about $2/lb for filtered in 25lb blocks. If I want 5 lb blocks, its $2.50/lb.