Want to start making sample batches of CP

Lady Di

I am so bummed :angry2: about making CP batches of soap that have no fragrance at all, because the fragrance oil completely disappeared during the process. I generally fragrance at 1 oz. per pound. I've decided to start making sample batches so that I can see how the fragrance turns out BEFORE I waste all these supplies. I know I should have been doing this all along... my fault. Two questions:

1) In terms of ounces, how small of a batch can I make?

2) Is there some trick I don't know about that preserves the fragrance oil during the CP process... like temperature? I usually soap at a temperature of 85 - 98 F. I do not insulate.

Di there is no need to add your superfat oil at trace - it all gets mixed up and saponifies as it will (adding it then does NOT control what is left after saponification). Do all your oils at once.

What you might want to do is make up a larger batch and then split it by weighing off portions and fragrance different portions with different FOs - that way you can try a bunch if you have the molds for it (and gladware containers work fine)

I have made 1# batches with no problems. Another thing you can do is take a batch of soap and make it about 5oz more. At LIGHT trace, remove 5oz and scent it as desired. Remeber, with that amount though, it may move faster on you than it would in a full size batch. Then make the rest of the batch into whatever you had planned. That way you only get 5oz of soap as opposed to a whole lb.

Make one batch, divide it up and fragrance each one. Excellent idea! Thanks!

CareBear... I did not know that about the oils. I've just always followed the same recipe instructions I started out with about 3 years ago!

I have made 1lb batches with no problem for testing a scent, but I dont necessarily like the outcome of the soap itself, not much of a change, but I always attributed it to the mold I use for that, which is the crystal light containers, instead of the wood one I usually use. They also make great sample soaps for the washroom! But if I am testing just the fragrance, that is the way I do it.

yep. Slides right out. I cut the bottom off, but saved it. I take saranwrap, wrap around the bottom, and then tape the bottom on. Pour the soap in the top, put the lid back on, set into a box, and wrap with a dish towel. 24 hours later (but to be honest, I have never waited that long), take off the top and bottom, and with a slight push, it slides right out. Some people have also put it in the freezer for a few minutes, but I havent had to do that yet, and have made about 6 batches that way. So, until it changes, this is what I do. HTH