adding Coconut oil?

I've been AWOL for the last few wks, so bear w/ me while I re-visit this topic. I want to test this as a replacement for beeswax. Since the BW has a high melt point, I always start w/ it. At what point would I add the CO & what does 76 degree mean in the name? Also, is it possible for a finished candle to go rancid when you add CO?

Susan.

I think someone posted somewhere that if you use spoiled coconut oil, it will change your scent. Mine aren't old enough to determine (only about 2-3 weeks) and my oil was fresh. Just be sure to refrigerate the oil after opening even if the jar states you don't need to...I use this oil frequently in cooking (and on my hair for conditioning) and it does spoil from heat and light.

I think someone posted somewhere that if you use spoiled coconut oil, it will change your scent. Mine aren't old enough to determine (only about 2-3 weeks) and my oil was fresh. Just be sure to refrigerate the oil after opening even if the jar states you don't need to...I use this oil frequently in cooking (and on my hair for conditioning) and it does spoil from heat and light.

I am wondering about the amount in the candle itself. Even though it is a small amount won't that component spoil as the candle sits in warm conditions? Does anyone yet know this answer? I am going to give it a try anyway.

I have some that are CB135 and some advance. The scents are lemon cheese(yellow) CB135 light frosting

Grandpa's Garden advance(blueish color) no frosting

Amish Harvest (orangish) no frosting

Pink sugar type no frosting

Thats all I know off the top of my head from when I looked this afternoon. I have such a headache (can feel a migraine coming on)

My hopes with the coconut oil is not so much the frosting but the scent throw itself. I want to be knocked out when I walk into a room.

I have tried 6% 8% 10% 12% and now I am doing 9%.

i have been following this post too...i would like to do something to get a better throw..has anyone made one and let it set for a long time to see if it goes rancid?

i would hate to sell or even give one away, and a few months down the road i find out it stinks..lol ..

it is really disheartening to make a candle and you almost have to burn the hair in your nose to smell it:laugh2: ( just a saying i have heard)

well i'll tell you what i have done....i made 4 candles useing pink sugar..and ELM and GB 415..one set of candles I used ICS Pink Sugar in ELM & GB 415.. the other set i used Flickers Pink Sugar in ELM & GB 415..I had cured them for 6 days..I test burned them today..while in my small small bathroom you could smell them, but if you put them in a large room i don't know if you would even know I had a candle burning...:mad: ...so i am melting them down,,i am going to add coconut oil and see if i can tell any difference...i will keep the two different brands of soy seperate.. and retest..i will let you know in a few days my luck...;)

I use 1 TBS per pound of wax (70/30 soy to para). Candles I made months ago have not gone rancid. I am also the one who added old CO to some fresh candles and they were yucky smellin'...I could tell it was off immediately at the first burn. Funny thing is the CO did not smell rancid when I used it, BUT it was liquid at room temp and should not be. Guess that tells the tale when it's off.

By the date on my jar it should have still been fresh but I got to thinking that everytime I made candles over the weeks the jar was sitting very close to my presto pot and nearly melting down everytime. Thus, with my very scientific mind :rolleyes2 I deduced I caused it to go bad with the constant heating and re-setting.

I ordered a bucket of the 76 degree coconut oil from Glory Bee and it is in my shop and it is as hard as a rock. Is this what it should be like? My shop is cool but not cold anymore. I am not sure what the temp was in there today but I had my candle shop room door open and then the shop door open to the outside which was warm today. When I go to use this I will have to chisel (sp?) it apart.

8-gran-ones I cant wait to hear your results and see how they compare. I will post mine also once they are done curing.

Holly I have read on here that it is hard and they chip off what they need. Mine is somewhat hard but scoopable for me

I ordered a bucket of the 76 degree coconut oil from Glory Bee and it is in my shop and it is as hard as a rock. Is this what it should be like? My shop is cool but not cold anymore. I am not sure what the temp was in there today but I had my candle shop room door open and then the shop door open to the outside which was warm today. When I go to use this I will have to chisel (sp?) it apart.

Hey there Holly, thank goodness it's finally warming up, huh?

Coconut 76 is a solid (hard) oil at normal room temp. The 76 is the temp that the oil becomes liquid. If your shop was 80* your coconut would be a clear liquid.

I'm sure all the B&B'rs know this but thought I'd throw this out there. If you have a Super Wal-Mart you can get coconut 76 oil in the cooking oil section. It comes in a white plastic container with a dark blue top and I think it's Lou Ann brand. It on an upper shelf to the left of the cooking oils in my local store.

i just wanted to report about the remelt and repour i did last night....after i had remelted, added coconut oil and stirred. i thought these are just testers i am going to go ahead and pour hot..it was about 150-155 degrees...this morning, the ELM is baby bottom smooth and shiney..the 414 has on area, about 1/4 of the top has a little cellulite..but it is otherwise smooth and shiney also.. i don't know if the remelt had anything to do with the smooth tops..chime in if you have any input...

Hey there Holly, thank goodness it's finally warming up, huh?

Coconut 76 is a solid (hard) oil at normal room temp. The 76 is the temp that the oil becomes liquid. If your shop was 80* your coconut would be a clear liquid.

I'm sure all the B&B'rs know this but thought I'd throw this out there. If you have a Super Wal-Mart you can get coconut 76 oil in the cooking oil section. It comes in a white plastic container with a dark blue top and I think it's Lou Ann brand. It on an upper shelf to the left of the cooking oils in my local store.

Hi Carrie,

Thanks for the response. :) I actually kinda liked it when it was cool. :rolleyes2 Everyone thinks I am a little weird. However, it has been very nice....not too hot. I better enjoy the riding weather while I can even when it gets hot, because winter will be here again before we know it.

Yes, I did figure the 76 meant the melting point. I just thought that it seemed overly hard even after my shop warmed up. I need to put a thermometer in my shop. Maybe it was cooler in there than I realized. It definitely was not 80. What I think is happening too is that it still gets cold in there at night so the Coconut oil would have to have very warm conditions long enough to soften up.

I have not checked our Walmart yet. It always seems like by the time I get my other errands done at other places I would either forget to go to Walmart to check for it or if I am there I would forget to look for it. My husband is the one that usually makes the Walmart run. I looked at Fred Myers and Safeway and they did not have it. I think Safeway had a small jar of some kind of Coconut oil but it cost an arm and a leg. So, I just ended up ordering it at Glory Bee. If it works out well, I will difinitely make a point to buy it at Walmart. Shipping is the pits. Thanks for confirming that the Walmart up here has it and what it looks like and where it is at. :)

I hope you are doing well. :)

~Holly

JBN is now carrying coconut oil 76, so I ordered some! Y'all are having too much fun in the lab and I am dyin' to do some testing of this.

On the issue of rancidity of oil... I would have rolled my eyeballs about this UNTIL I had to throw out a half-full container of Crisco last week! I had never had shortening go rancid before - I have had it get funky-lookin' and it hit the garbage can, but it never SMELLED like THIS stuff!! PeeeeeYOUUUUU!! So THEN I took the issue seriously...;)

I was reading the thread about the massage candles, noting the ingredients, and thought, what if some vitamin E were included in the formula as an anti-oxidant & preservative?;) Perhaps that would prevent any coconut oil rancidity now or in the future. I also wonder how long and under what conditions the oil might become rancid? AND that leads me to THIS question: Why doesn't soy wax become rancid? God knows my Crisco sure did!

On the topic of what the 76 means... Hmmmm.... I wonder if that is the melting point in celsius rather than fahrenheit... I ran it through my handy-dandy celsius to fahrenheit converter and...

76° Celsius = 168.8° Fahrenheit

Has anyone put it in the pot to see what temp it is melting at without any other wax in there?

Hi Carrie,

I have not checked our Walmart yet. It always seems like by the time I get my other errands done at other places I would either forget to go to Walmart to check for it or if I am there I would forget to look for it. My husband is the one that usually makes the Walmart run. I looked at Fred Myers and Safeway and they did not have it. I think Safeway had a small jar of some kind of Coconut oil but it cost an arm and a leg. So, I just ended up ordering it at Glory Bee. If it works out well, I will difinitely make a point to buy it at Walmart. Shipping is the pits. Thanks for confirming that the Walmart up here has it and what it looks like and where it is at. :)

I hope you are doing well. :)

~Holly

I got some at walmart yesterday, it was 2.64 for 30 something oz. It was a super walmart if that matters, and it's right where everyone said, in the isle with the oils and right on top.

If you want to save on shipping, go to a health food store. I got 30 oz jar of organic coconut oil (I use it for cooking also) for under $7.00 on sale at Henry's. Most of the health food stores carry it and it's not as badly priced as you would imagine.

i just wanted to report about the remelt and repour i did last night....after i had remelted, added coconut oil and stirred. i thought these are just testers i am going to go ahead and pour hot..it was about 150-155 degrees...this morning, the ELM is baby bottom smooth and shiney..the 414 has on area, about 1/4 of the top has a little cellulite..but it is otherwise smooth and shiney also.. i don't know if the remelt had anything to do with the smooth tops..chime in if you have any input...

It could have based on the theory of "tempering" like you do chocolate to make it smooth. I alway temper my shea and other butters when I make body butter to get rid of the graininess.