adding Coconut oil?

Is it 1/2 teaspoon or 1/2 tablespoon? I've seen both amounts used in testing.

I just wanted to reiterate what Jami stated. If you use more than the suggested amount your wick sizes from previous testing will change. I also had that sour or spoiled smell with some FO's, not all. Glad to hear it wasn't just me that noticed it. In regards to something with a lower melt point making the wax harder, I'm just guessing here but the coconut oil alone gets pretty hard in the container unless it is in a warm room. So my guess would be that adding it to the wax is adding firmer ingredient when solid which would make the wax harder and therefore require a larger or hotter wick to get it to melt. Not sure if that was explained correctly but it's just a guess. I tested to see if there was a difference for me in scent throw. For my testing the scent throw was not any different. My testers that weren't told about any additional additive that may or may not improve scent throw and didn't note any difference between the two candles. There was something mentioned on another board that stated binding the oil to the wax too much actually decreased the scent throw because FO didn't release and disperse effectively. Who knows, each noise is different:cheesy2:

have to ask i must be having a "moment"

but is this the kind of coconut oil you could use? it does say for bath bombs but nothing about candles

help lol

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100-Pure-Natural-ORGANIC-VIRGIN-COCONUT-Oil-50ml_W0QQitemZ160123656298QQihZ006QQcategoryZ21205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

TIA

Hi from a fellow UK candlemaker, I've been following this thread and also looking for something to harden my soy wax - Just spoken to a really helpful guy at coconoil.co.uk and bought a small sample to try. The melt point is 24 degrees C which equates to 76 degrees farenheit - which I am guessing is similar to Lou-ana 76 - I'll let you know

Is it 1/2 teaspoon or 1/2 tablespoon? I've seen both amounts used in testing.

I just wanted to reiterate what Jami stated. If you use more than the suggested amount your wick sizes from previous testing will change. I also had that sour or spoiled smell with some FO's, not all. Glad to hear it wasn't just me that noticed it. In regards to something with a lower melt point making the wax harder, I'm just guessing here but the coconut oil alone gets pretty hard in the container unless it is in a warm room. So my guess would be that adding it to the wax is adding firmer ingredient when solid which would make the wax harder and therefore require a larger or hotter wick to get it to melt. Not sure if that was explained correctly but it's just a guess. I tested to see if there was a difference for me in scent throw. For my testing the scent throw was not any different. My testers that weren't told about any additional additive that may or may not improve scent throw and didn't note any difference between the two candles. There was something mentioned on another board that stated binding the oil to the wax too much actually decreased the scent throw because FO didn't release and disperse effectively. Who knows, each noise is different:cheesy2:

if you read the posts on the previous page, 1/2 teaspoon is probably not enough to have a good enough efect, try 1/2 tablespoon.

Yes, I did read the post mentioned on the previous pages and that is the amount I used when I tested this several months ago. I was just checking to make sure since I have seen both amounts mentioned on other post.

KMommy,

Interesting you reported that people who weren't told about the additive didn't mention noticing a difference. I had that happen with a FO that I was using that was later discontinued. I got another that was almost an exact dupe from another supplier. I had regular customers that purchased this candle and I didn't mention using a different FO to them just to see if anyone would notice. After 3 months of them purchasing this candle I told a few of them that the current stock was different FO and asked them to report back to me if they noticed a difference. One said it was stronger than the candle she had purchased the previous month. Another said it was weaker and yet another said the scent smells different. These were all from the same batch and the exact same FO as the one they had been purchasing for the past 3 months. The only thing that changed was my mentioning that something was different.

I think the confusion with the amounts may be because different amounts were mentioned in a post regarding some possible problems. However, it sounds like the person was testing higher amounts than the 1/2 tablespoon and was reporting their findings. Maybe they didn't get the smooth tops with the suggested amount and increased it for testing. Glad it was mentioned because that would be something I would try just to see what results I would have. Since problems at a higher amount have been reported I won't go there!:smiley2:

For Palm wax it may or may not change the crystalization. I know different additives have changed the look of some of my palm candles.

Have fun testing ladies!

I use 1/2 T (which is Tablespoon) per lb. 1/2 t would equal 1/2 teaspoon. At least that's the way my cookbooks read...the large T = tablespoon and a small t = teaspoon...:D Vague memories of my 1970 ish home-ec class LOL confirm this theory. That's when schools were still trying to teach us women to learn to cook, clean, sew...didn't work for me!

I have not had to go up on wick size using the 1/2 T per lb

Guest LightofDawn

I went to Wally World the other day and picked up some CO. I am all excited about trying out something new when I pull the CO out of the fridge (I know someone said to store it there) and I first had to get help from my daughter just to open the lid. Then I try to spoon out some oil when I realize it is hard as a rock. I am going to need a sawzall to get this stuff out.

Someone please tell me how you handle this stuff. Do you leave it in the fridge and thaw at each use or do you just chip away at it as needed.

Right now I have it sitting on the deck trying to get it warm enough to get a tablespoon out of it!!

Thanks

Dawn

I WENT SEARCHING FOR COCNUT OIL THIS WEEK TOO..WALLY MART DID NOT HAVE IT,,SAVE MART DIDN'T EITHER..I FINALLY FOUND IT AT RALLEY IN THE NATURAL FOOD SECTION..I REALLY HOPE IT IS GOOD AND IT COST $7. FOR 14 OZ...MINE WAS HARD AS A BRICK TOO..I GOT IT OUT OF THE REFRIG..AND HAD TO CARVE AND CUT IT OUT..:confused:

I'LL TELL YOU WHAT I HAVE DONE. I HAD SEX ON THE BEACH FROM ICS WITH DID NOT THROW GOOD WHEN BURNING..I HAD LET IT CURE FOR OVER A WEEK..I HAD USED THE GB 464 AND 415 MIXED..SO I REMELTED TODAY AND ADDED 1 1/2 TBSP OF COCONUT TO IT..I WILL LET IT SET FOR ANOTHER WEEK AND TEST BURN. WILL LET YOU KNOW IF IT HELPS OUT THIS FO ANY...BECAUSE I HAVE READ SEVERAL POST ON THIS OIL REALLY HAVING A GOOD HOT THROW..SO TIME WILL TELL...:mad:

Guest LightofDawn

Wow, $7 for 14 ozs. Wally World had it for about $2.50 for 31.5 ozs. I can't find my reciept at the moment to give you an exact price.

I use EZsoy and have been following this thread. I'm particularly interested in the idea that CO might be helping with frosting issues. Some of my candles frost so badly, they look sick and I wouldn't even want to GIVE them away.

The last two posts indicate that there's still a frosting problem even when using CO. Am I understanding that correctly? Has anyone noticed that their frosting issues are greatly reduced with the use of CO?

TIA

Guest LightofDawn
very interesting cant wait to try it in my Ecsoya advanced. The one at wally world where do you find it...is it in the oil asile?

Yes, it was located right there with the crisco. We have a Super Wally World so I do not know if they have it at a regular Wally.