Too much fragrance oil

Copper

Hi all!

I was trying to make a fo blend for a 2# batch of soap and

ended up adding 3 oz instead of 2oz to the pot. It's in the mold now and there is a fine layer of oil on top (it's been in there about 2 hours). Do you think it might be alright maybe after a long cure?

Thanks!

You'll have to wait till it's done and then test the batch if it's testable.

Some FOs will irritate. Some won't, assuming what you used was an FO. Higher concentrations of EOs, I'm told, and EOs in general, may have varying affects. You'd have to read up on that.

I've done oopsies like that and they never hardened up - they stayed mushy. You never know - but time heals a lot of problems in soap. Maybe after an extra day wipe off the excess and stick it in a corner somewhere to cure - you might be surprised.

most of us soap FOs at 0.7 - 1.0 oz ppo but there are some Scent Shack FOs I use at 0.5 oz ppo (vendor recommendations). But every person is different in their likes and dislikes, and different FOs behave differently as well.

I would make up another batch and leave it unscented or maybe put just a dab of fo in it, then I would grind, shred, chunk this soap up and put in the new batch and it should be fine. If it is just newly made it will be easy to grind with a salad shooter or shredd with one of those hand shredders. Make your new batch of soap and put your shredds in there at light trace, stick blend the heck out of it and it will shredd those shredds up even smaller and incorporate it into the new batch of soap and it should be fine. That's what I would do, keep in mind you'll have an extra big batch but it should cure out just fine, maybe you can do a slight water discount on the "new" batch as well to kinda help it along in the curing process.

janis rogers