Air Pocket Next to wick

I have terrible problems with the new box of Joy Wax I am using. The poking holes and then the heat gun is working for me too. So much for wax consistancy and one pour. Time to change wax for me. HTH Ruby

Do I poke all the way to the bottom of the container?

No, you shouldn't have to. You only poke to open up the air pocket so the melted wax will fill it up, weather you do a re-pour or use the heat gun. You will know when you hit an air pocket, first you will feel resistance then when you hit the air pocket, there will be no resistance, your poking stick (what every you use) will go in faster when it hits the air pocket. It's hard to explain, but when you hit them you will know, or at least I do now. It may take you a few candles to know if you hit an air pocket or not.

I HATE the way the tops of my candles look when I use a heat gun:angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: They are definitely not as smooth and soft looking as when they harden by themselves. Am I doing something wrong? Sometimes they are down right ugly and I refuse to sell them. Never could figure the trick with a heat gun so I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Any hints on this?

I HATE the way the tops of my candles look when I use a heat gun:angry2:
:angry2:
:angry2: They are definitely not as smooth and soft looking as when they harden by themselves. Am I doing something wrong? Sometimes they are down right ugly and I refuse to sell them. Never could figure the trick with a heat gun so I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Any hints on this?

Make sure you melt the entire top, not just a portion of it, and be careful and don't burn the wick, with the heat gun.

Toni,

I'm with you on the heat gun, but I have to say...since I started adding the coconut oil, the tops smooth right out after I zap them with the gun. It's a little bit harder to control the heat than the micro torch and the results are about the same for me.

HTH

Anita

Did the poke test yesterday (all the way down :o before I got your message) and heat gun yesterday and thought I was doing something wrong cause the tops didn't look the same. So, glad to hear feedback confirming the different look on top. But noticed that one actually looked smooth again. Does anyone find that certain suppliers or certain fragrances tend to smooth better when heat gunned? Went to hancock fabrics online and couldn't find Doll needles - could I use knitting needles? Used a wire hanger yesterday but the holes were so small? Thanks everyone.

Went to hancock fabrics online and couldn't find Doll needles -
could I use knitting needles?
Used a wire hanger yesterday but the holes were so small? Thanks everyone.

Sure you can, but the wire hanger is not any bigger than the doll needles and it works for me.

Do you have a metal kabob skewer, that would work, too.

Thanks Candle Man :) I am SO a visual person when it comes to instructions sometimes. But now I fully get it:D . I think you're right about the 100% soy. What a bugger it is. But I am determined!

• 13 years later...

I am just starting out and I keep getting tiny air bubbles all throught out my candles. i notice this when i head gun the top little air bubbles are EVERYWHERE. teeny tiny ones. i.work them up to the surface from the side of my jar with my heat gun but what i wanna know is this normal? or am I doing something wrong? I pour super slow.