Fish soap in a clamshell

maryann

Took a stab at the fish soap in a clamshell. These are definately much EASIER to make than the fish in a bag. I just chose the wrong FO-Baby Powder, it had a yellow color to it so it changed the "water's" color a bit. I used kelp granules for the "sand".

THANKS Alajane for the SUPER CUTE IDEA!! :highfive:

[ATTACH]1812[/ATTACH]

post-119-139458381428_thumb.jpg

That came out sooo dang cute, the kelp granules really make it look like sand (btw, what the heck else do you use KELP GRANULES for? curious). :D

I bought some of those blank clamshells to do those, but I'm wondering how you do the sand layer? how do you make it so it doesn't run into the other area??

Very cute.

Are you going to be selling these soon? I see you've got labels on all your soaps, so I was curious about that too. ;):D

I've done these recently and when I was pouring the "sand", I noticed that it will set up with a slant - i.e., so that one side of the clamshell will have the sand higher than the other side. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what did you do to alleviate it?

Good job on your Aquarium fish. It turned out great!

I agree too that they are much easier than the fish-in-a-bag.

Good question about the KELP GRANULES, I bought them on a sale- thinking I would use them for foot scrubs ?

Meredith my "sand" is on a slant too. I propped them against something to the point that when I poured they wouldn't spill out of the clam shell. Just before the soap sat up I sprinkled the kelp on top. While waiting for the "sand" to set up I melted the "water", then sprayed the "sand" with a bit of alcohol, and poured the prepared "water" (meaning mixed w/ FO) half way up the clamshell. When it was almost set I sprayed again w/ a bit of alcohol, set the fish in and poured the rest of the "water". So I actually did three pours, I know some don't like the idea of using alcohol, is there anything else you can substitute for it so that the soap bonds between pours?

Are you going to be selling these soon? I see you've got labels on all your soaps, so I was curious about that too. ;):D

They have been one of the easiest things to label. I have so much I've done that I stop when I get to the labelling. I do not like labelling! :mad:

The labels are Avery Name Badge labels for laser or ink jet #15395 on top right- got at Walmart. I put my business name & number at the top and literally cut & pasted the ingredients from WSP's (their soap base) site adding in colorant and fragrance.

I plan to add them to my website towards the end of the month and will sell them at Market on Saturday. How much I'm not sure yet???:confused: Any ideas ???

I am going to make some with the desert (tan colored) army men instead so the kelp idea helped me with the sand look but also but I was wondering, wouldn't you be able to make some sort of divider, if you will, to use instead of tilting so it would be more even?

Those are absolutely the coolest thing! I'm still just trying to test votives so bath & body is still waaaay out of my reach :wink2: I love to surf through here though and see all the cool pics you guys post :) I bookmarked your site though - I'm wanting some of those for xmas gifts!

Too, too cute!

Teresa

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Took a stab at the fish soap in a clamshell. These are definately much EASIER to make than the fish in a bag. I just chose the wrong FO-Baby Powder, it had a yellow color to it so it changed the "water's" color a bit. I used kelp granules for the "sand".

THANKS Alajane for the SUPER CUTE IDEA!! :highfive:

[ATTACH]1812[/ATTACH]

Hi Maryanne.

Your fish soaps are too cute. what size clamshell did you use and where did you purchase? Also, is that actual sand mixed with the kelp granules? TIA!

I bought the shells from 2 differ suppliers but the BEST price is MMS http://www.thesage.com/catalog/UniqueItems.html. They only have 5oz right now. The picture is 3oz which is a good size for children. Coastal Scents has the 3 oz http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=234

Its just kelp- but it stinks so... see the other thread about these as it was talked about differ ways to achieve the "sand" look ... http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2911&page=2