photoshop

I know a lot of you say you use photoshop for pic editing. What version are you using, where did you find it and if you don't mind how much did it cost you? Or if you know of a comparable product for a good price please let me know about it too. Thanks for all your help!! :D

My pictures aren't the greatest, but I am still learning to use Photoshop. I bought Photoshop Elements 5.0 at Costco, it was regularly $79.99, but I had a coupon for $20 off. I've heard that you should take a class to learn it or at least a lot of people have. It does so muc, I am just reading as I go along. HTH.

I use Photoshop CS2. I love it and I swear I use it several times a day, everyday, doing one thing or another. I haven't found anything comparable to it to suit me. Fryes Electronics has it, but I'm not sure what the going rate is now. Last time I checked it was over $600 but that was when it first came out.

For basic stuff, I'd definitely go with something cheaper unless you plan on using it a lot. Several people swear by paint shop pro.

As a web Designer/Developer I have to use Photoshop CS. Kind of expensive for just cleaning up photos.

Photoshop elements is a good choice if your just concerned with photo touchup. I think someone said they got it for around $99 which sounds about right to me. This is what my wife uses for the family photos. I tried using it for a web project I was doing where I need to resize, scale, crop and remove items from images and it just did not do what I needed, and Photoshop CS does.

Someone else also mentioned PaintShop Pro. This is an excellent photo editor/Paint program. It's from Jasc and I believe they still have a full working trial. You should try that out and see if its something you like. I believe you can buy a key for it online so you don't even have to go shopping.

There are several other photo editors out there if you do a google search. Some free some donation. I haven't really used any of them so can't give any feedback.

I've been a designer for the past 20-so years and have been using photoshop since it's inception. Nothing beats it!

However, the average person isn't going to fork up the big bucks, nor needs to. For a freebie, don't forget Google's Picasa - nice little free program! Also for the do-it-yourselfer's, for wysiwig (what you see is what you get) web development nvu.com has free web design software that's very, very good. I mainly use dreamweaver or golive, but Nvu (pronounced 'en-view') can really keep up with the big boys! Whenever I design sites for clients where they wish to update it themselves, I always recommend nvu.

I have had Jasc's Paint shop Pro for almost 2 years now, and STILL can't figure out how it works, beyond just the basic phot touchup stuff. It's very frustrating especially now when I want really nice photos for my website.

I wish I knew someone who used it that could come over and teach me how to use this dang program! LOL

Michi

I havent used Paintshop Pro in over a year, but I do remember seeing quite a few tutorials online. Just do a google search for Paint Shop Pro tutorials. I did a quick search and the first page was loaded with site with infomation.

The same goes for Photoshop. Also, because Photoshop is much larger in scope and user base, there are a great deal of books out there ranging from Photoshop for Dummies to very detailed books like 'Game Art' (Which I should probably read since I did buy it).