Noob

Hi, Chris here. Total noob. Been kicking around the idea of making some candles lately and found my way here. I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks now, just trying to figure out what all is involved (considerably more than I would have thought), and what I need (which I'm still not real sure about). So I thought I'd finally introduce myself, throw a few questions out there, and see if anyone is bored enough to help me out a little bit.

I think I've decided to purchase Peak's container candle starter kit. Seems simple enough, until I start doing a little math. Since it comes with eight 8 ounce tins (which oddly enough only hold 6 ounces of wax each....go figure) I'm going to end up with approximately 122 ounces of leftover wax. What to do with the leftover wax? I'm thinking of pouring it into some half-pint masons. So my first question would be, how much wax will one of these masons hold?

My second question is which wick to use in the masons? The kit comes with 6" 51-32-18Z zinc core wicks. Should I have any problem using those?

Another issue I have is how much FO to use. Is 1 ounce/pound about right? I seem to remember reading about using that ratio with the 4630 wax, but I can't remember for sure.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, and I look forward to getting to know everyone here. :D

Welcome fellow newbie.

You're going to find that people are extremely helpful, bored or not.

The only thing I can answer is the FO question and 1 oz per pound is about right, but anything more than that and they seem to "bleed" or as they say on here have "water spots", so a little less than 1 oz per pound is better. I did my first candles with vanilla and was just barely under 1 oz for a pound and had no problem with amazing scent.

Anyway, don't listen to me. I'm just a newbie.

But the pros on here will be your best resource!

Howdy and welcome to the board :)

A kit is a great place to start! Don't worry about leftover wax. By the time you're doing test burning the tins a few times, you wont have any left :D

As for the size, first rule to remember is containers are listed in volume (fluid ounces), we weigh wax as a solid weight. If you were going to measure out, say 8 fluid oz of water(as in 1/2 cup) it would fill the tin to the top. ;) Sooo... 8 fl. oz. is roughly about to 6 solids oz by weight.

Welcome. If you will look to the left of this area, you will see some buttons. If you click on the "General Information" button, you will open a window that lists some other buttons, including one called "Handy Calculators'. Clicking on that one will get you some information on how to calculate how much wax will fill your containers.

As far as FO loading, most wax manufacturers will tell you how much FO their wax can be expected to hold. Some will hold more than others, but a general rule of thumb is 1oz/lb of wax. From there it's just simple math to get the correct loading.

HOWEVER, no manufacturer's information will cover all situations. Start with their recommendations and adjust from there. Then test, test, test.

Good Luck,

Fredron

AHA! I should re-use the tins! Don't I feel stupid now? :embarasse LOL

Don't! The more you ask, the more you learn :)

The tins, I have about a half dozen for testing that I reuse. It wont hurt them. Be careful with glass though. Excessive heat can weaken glass so you should keep a close eye on jars if you reuse for testing repeatedly.

Welcome Chris. I'm a fellow Hoosier also. I've only been making container candles for about 6 mo., so I'm not an expert either. I use parafin wax and I use 1 oz. pp of wax. Some times you might have to adjust that with some of the FO (frangrance oils). Anyway welcome to an addicting and fun thing to do.

hello

my piece of advise is

remember the people here do this for a living or make money with it

yes there are very helpful "which i thank them all for" with alot of experience

but for me candles are a hobby and as long as i don't get the tunnel effect "which i had in my first candle" i don't care about a mushroom effect on top of the wick. I think it reflects heat down to the wax which makes the wax pool perfect and lets off more scent anyway.

PS i still wouldn't change anything here

thanks

So my starter kit arrived Friday. I did a couple of pours yesterday, and they seemed to go alright. I did a couple pounds of French Vanilla and a couple pounds of Mango Papaya. Each batch got me 2 tins and 3 half-pint masons. Which left just enough wax to top them off after they cooled.

Now that they've cooled, they look pretty good. Better than I expected for my first try, even. My question now is, how long should I let them set before I burn them? I seem to remember reading somewhere about letting them "cure" for a certain amount of time. Is that necessary? And if so, for how long?

Hopefully, tonight I will have time to pour some Strawberry Kiwi :grin2:

Hi there Noob!:grin2:

Welcome...I myself have only been on this board a few months but I have been making candles for 6 years.

May I ask what kind of wax you are using(soy or paraffin)? I use both but more paraffin...I love the mottled look.

If you are using paraffin you should let them cure for 24-48 hours.(at least that's all mine take depending on Fo).

If you ar using soy...at least two weeks(10 days). But, I use C-3 and most people who use soy let it cool to a slush stage...but I don't, I pour hot about 160* and my tops come out smooth. Once in a while they crack but I just zap them with a heat gun.HTH a little.Good Luck and have lots of FUN!:wink2: (oh, and with the C-3 I burned them next day and had awesome throw)!

Thanks! I'm using paraffin right now, 4630. But I would like to take a crack at soy sometime in the future.

I was also wondering about the claim that 4630 is a single-pour wax under optimal conditions. What are these optimal conditions? I've pre-heated my containers and poured at around 180 degrees, but have yet to make a candle that couldn't use a top-off.