why do you like slab vs log

I have both and like both for different reasons. With a slab mold it is a lot easier for me to get the large, whispy nice swirls than it is with a log. I have a Misty Creek as well as a Kelsei so cutting isn't a problem with these slabs.

I like logs if I'm going to make a plain colored soap that I am purposely trying to get gel on, because for me, a log will gel a lot easier and faster than in a slab mold.

For me it's all a matter of what type of soap I'm making and the appearance I am trying to achieve as to which mold I use and prefer.

HTH :)

It depends, as posted above, on the effect I'm going for. If I want dramatic, distinct swirls then the slab mold is the way to go. Especially if I'm doing multiple swirls.

In the log mold I can get wispy swirls (ITM swirls), can layer more easily, can get nifty textured tops, stuff like that. Like I did the Brooklyn Biscotti in the log mold and put a "foamy" looking layer on top to look like the top of a cappuccino (see the gallery).

As for cutting, well I can do pretty well in my Misty Creek, but I also have a kelsei that makes the cutting thing pretty moot. I cannot cut a log straight to save my life! But I have a cutter for that on it's way to save the day (can you say TANK???)

ETA: A log mold is nice for ash-prone soaps as well. My fave recipe seems to ash quite badly so with the log mold that's kinda controlled (kinda, as long as I don't cut while it's too warm or fresh).

Log is easiest for me to cut, but sometimes I want more design on the face of my soaps, so I will use a slab. Sometimes I want to make more bars than the 14 my log mold gives me, so I slab.

Sometimes I can do mroe with the log mold than the slabs. Sometimes soap never wants to come out of either and in those cases, I hate them both.

I prefer slabs. With log molds, you sometimes get drag lines when cutting. You can get drag lines with slab cuts too, but it only affects a small portion of the bar, surface-wise. You can make the tops of the logs look cool, but that doesn't show up in a box with a cutout. I prefer the side with the most real estate to be one I can control in terms of texture and coloring with swirls. They just look better in soap boxes with a cut out, and that's what I use for packaging.

For naked sales, or shrinkwrapped bars, logs are great, though. I do make a few logs now and then to achieve a different look, but if I could only have one kind of mold, it would DEFINITELY be slabs for me. I love them.