Advice needed on booth set-up

Which booth set-up is more attractive?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which booth set-up is more attractive?

• A
    • B

booth.jpg

When doing fairs I usually set up my booth to resemble diagram A. In other words, people actually have to come in to my booth to see my product. I do try to make the end caps inviting so that people will want to come in and see what else I have. But lately I've noticed that people who set up their booths like diagram B get a lot more interest in their products. Maybe not more sales, but definitely more interest. It's almost as if people are afraid to come into booth A because they'll feel obligated to make a purchase (like they are trapped!).

Does anyone have an opinion on this? I hope I've explained what I mean clearly.:embarasse

I have always set mine up like Diagram A because I have been sandwiched in between two other vendors and if I set it up like Diagram B, no one would be able to reach back to the items on the side tables. I have noticed, though, that vendors who have their stuff "out front" as in Diagram B seem to have more activity at their booths. I sometimes think it's just hit or miss.

I would say with setup B as a visitor to your booth I would like it better. I would probably not waste my time going in if I didn't see somethhing right out front. There is also a trapped feeling of going inside. Also if you have it like A and I saw people already inside looking I probably wouldn't bother because it would already be kind of cramped. I actually sort of avoided checking out a both last week setup like A because I just didn't feel like going inside to see everything. I prefer it all out front/on the outside of the booth. It would of course depend on your space. If you can walk around the sides then I'd prefer B.

There are probably lots of advantages and disadvantages that could be listed for both.

Design A:

PROS:

You have more table space that you can play around with since the sides will be more open to you.

CONS: People may be more intimidated about coming "into" your booth.

Design B:

PROS: Your products are right out there, drawing immediate attention from everyone that walks by.

CONS:

You won't have as much table space, since the sides may not be useable, but you could set this space up to write out orders, pack orders, hold extra stock (since you'll probably have less of each item out in front).

Also, depending on how wide or narrow the aisles are, you may run into issues with customers blocking the aisle with the B set up. The owners of the show may or may not take offense. It's just something I thought of. I don't really do shows any more. In Utah, most people come shopping for crafting ideas, not products. And most show prices (for 2-3 day shows) run at least $130. With a low return, and young kids to schedule around, we've decided it's not worth our time and effort. We've usually only made 2X our booth fee, sometimes less.

I really like the idea of Booth B, but there a few issues you may run into. If you've got more than one show, try both.

I don't do either anymore! I have slimmed down to two tables and the result is I now get more sales and more customers than before.

I guess its because people feel less boxed in. Not sure. But people definitely browse longer and sales have improved.

Another bonus is less to set up. I just keep extra supplies boxed until needed.

My experience is that a straight line on the front of the booth works best; you can also modify B so that the center tables are pulled back 1 or 2 feet; that will give you more show room, but keep customers from feeling trapped.

First show I did I had it set up like A and hardly anyone came in to look. Another vendor told me that if you don't have something at the front line people will walk right on by. They want to be able to walk by and look at something right in front, not have to go into the booth. My next show I changed it and have kept it that way ever since.

B wouldn't work at any of my fairs - no room for customers on the side. I've done A in a 8 foot booth, it worked ok but was a little cramped when busy. My preferences are straight as far to front as the sun will let me, or an L. This year I've gone to an L and it's working much better for me than the U ever did.

I use full shelving units in the form of A & there's always people in shopping.

But I believe even beyond just table setup its what your layout & product looks like.

I will be changing to a table setup here for a Farmer's Market, so we'll see how that differs.

B wouldn't work at any of my fairs - no room for customers on the side. I've done A in a 8 foot booth, it worked ok but was a little cramped when busy. My preferences are straight as far to front as the sun will let me, or an L. This year I've gone to an L and it's working much better for me than the U ever did.

Exactly! Thats what I did and its working far better for me. Thats why I only do two tables now. It really made a difference. Customers definitely browse longer and that equates to more sales.

Before my customers would walk by or barely stop for just a sec before moving on. With the L shape set up they stop, browse, talk to me, and almost always buy!

I'm never going back to the U shape.

Thank you for all the opinions! I'm still not sure if I want to continue with A. I have a lot of product and people tell me that my booth is really lovely so I don't think that's the problem. I never thought of an L shape before~doesn't that limit space a lot?

I have read A LOT of marketing books... Everyone of them has suggested that you set up so that people do not have to 'enter' into your booth. Plus, if there is a large crowd that is shopping at your booth people are more curious and tend to stop and take a look or come back by when you are slower.

I did an experiment once at market and set-up on two Sat. in a row just like you have diagramed... My sales tripled when the table was out and people didn't have to walk in. Exact products, set-up, etc. just had the tables different.

HTH.

Jen

I have read A LOT of marketing books... Everyone of them has suggested that you set up so that people do not have to 'enter' into your booth. Plus, if there is a large crowd that is shopping at your booth people are more curious and tend to stop and take a look or come back by when you are slower.

I did an experiment once at market and set-up on two Sat. in a row just like you have diagramed... My sales tripled when the table was out and people didn't have to walk in. Exact products, set-up, etc. just had the tables different.

HTH.

Jen

Wow Jen, that's really helpful! Thanks so much for the information. It's so strange that such a little thing would make such a big difference. I guess I need to pick up some books on marketing.:wink2:

Thank you for all the opinions! I'm still not sure if I want to continue with A. I have a lot of product and people tell me that my booth is really lovely so I don't think that's the problem. I never thought of an L shape before~doesn't that limit space a lot?

You do have to rethink how to set up with an "L" shape. I found that I don't really have a big problem with one less table for my products. I just keep the extra products in boxes so I have enough.

Try the A or B set up-- then give the L shape a try. What works for me may not be the same for you. But you may be surprised.

I prefer A, but I have also used a cross between U and L - L I. Like this

I

I_ I

I have a short table for the leg of the L. Gives me space to be in the booth, but not in the way and I can entice people in with scents.

OMG, You all are making me nervous. Im going with a modified A ( two tables)but i think that around here(in the deep south, LOL) it'll do ok. Its alread like 95 degrees most days so i thought i would offer some shade for my customers who would like to browse. I am also selling drinks so this would help them keep cool.

OMG, You all are making me nervous. Im going with a modified A ( two tables)but i think that around here(in the deep south, LOL) it'll do ok. Its alread like 95 degrees most days so i thought i would offer some shade for my customers who would like to browse. I am also selling drinks so this would help them keep cool.

Don't worry too much. I too live in the Deep South so I have to keep my product in the shade all the time. I've heard that most people do well selling their soaps 'nekkid' but I could never do that because I'd have a hot sticky mess by the end of the day! I guess you just have to do a little experimentation and do what works best for you.:grin2:

I have found that people are reluctant to come into the back of the booth, no matter what you have back there. I have shelves down both sides and they start in the front, leaving space towards the back of the booth. Cash stand is in the back with some melts in crates along both sides of the cash stand. I price the melts cheaply to get people to the back and digging around.. creates an energy in the booth that draws more people in.

I know when I used to just shop at shows, I tended to not want to "go in" to the booth unless something grabbed me - and even then, if it was busy I would walk by, meaning to stop in later and usually not.

We use the U-shape now, but I really wonder if maybe the L-shape would be the way to go. Maybe we will experiment this season.

Very interesting thread!

Jane

I totally agree with Robin, heres a pic of the booth set up from my last show. I went with an L shape.

IMG_2399.jpg