S.O.S...Need some help with Soy!

Dear Chandlers,

As a chandler newbie (6 months), I've been given an awesome opportunity to place my items in a local retail outlet and I have two weeks to prepare my products. Glass container and travel tin candles. Here's the problem...after extensive testing and finally arriving at consistency...I started working on my product line last night. Upon opening my warming boxes, I was horrified to see some pretty awful looking candles. The surfaces look like swiss cheese, literally cratered like the dark side of the moon, cottage cheese if you will. Here's what I'm using...EcoSoya CB Advanced, exactly 1.5 oz scent per pound, for the 8, 16 (travel tins), 10 and 12 (glass jar) ounce containers, I pour at 150. For the 4, 6 (travel tins), 3.75 and 6.50 (glass jar) containers, I pour at 110. What in the world am I doing wrong?

Lynn....:undecided

I'm a complete newbie at this.....only a few weeks into this. I've never worked with EcoSoys CB Advanced, but from all the reading I've done.....it sounds like you may need a heat gun to zap those tops. It will smooth them right out. I don't have a heat gun yet, so I'm using other alternatives with the GB 444 wax.:grin2:

a heat gun will help with the look, but you may try pouring at a lower temp, i dont pour until slush stage, which can be diff for diff fos. some 110, some 100 and some at 115, but slush stage pouring always works and i never have to use a heat gun. did you only say two wks to test and everything,thats not much time.

You can pour that wax at a hotter temp than 110 and cool at room temperature. It's a well behaved wax and shouldn't give you too many problems getting good aesthetic results, as long as you don't mind it releasing from the glass.

I don't think 2 weeks is enough time for product development though. If those are new containers and you're using a number of fragrances, no way those candles are going to be designed and tested properly for sale.

Thanks so much everyone for your wonderful helpful hints and advice!:yay:

Your suggestions have helped tremendously. But I do need to clarify that I've been practicing and testing since November and have had some great results but I only have two weeks to mass produce enough product to actually fill the shelf. It's only been since I started producing my goodies for retail sale that they started looking yucky. How ironic is that? LOL LOL

Thanks again!

I just started using CB Advanced in the past couple of months and one of the things I loved was the fact that it doesn't get the bumpy top! I did notice that in any fragrance with orange in it, the wax turns yellow (more so than other waxes) and it did get very tiny pits in the top. My micro torch took care of all that. I also leave my candles out at room temp to cure. I usually don't cover for 12-24 hours (depending on weather) and don't box for at least 4 days. HTH:cool2:

I would go with the heat gun. I always use a heat gun, even though a lot of my candles come out nearly perfect. It helps with those air pockets you may not even know are there.

Good luck with retail! I've just started trying to market to local shops. I hope it pans out! :)

Thanx so much for the luck! And the best of luck to you as well!! I hope your candles are a smashing success!!

Sorry I can't help with your wax. I use GW444. But I can empathize with you :cry2: . When I first started testing I had beautiful smooth tops. I thought I was in the clear. I had melt and pour temps all figured out. Then one day several months later after following the same formula the tops on my candles were coming out awful. I'm back to ground zero and learning how to master the heat gun. I feel for you. Soy can be so unpredictable.

Shine