Soybean Oil at Local Grocerer?

Crystala25

I was about to fry chicken and I was reading the back of the vegetable oil. The only ingredient is soybean oil? It is Wessen brand cooking oil. Has anyone used this in soaping, the only soybean oil I use is the organic one from soaperschoice. Does anyone know if they are the same or do they have different properties? TIA.

I have been using the vegetable/soybean oil from the grocery all the time in my soaps. I also buy the OO/Soy at Dollar Tree also and have used it in all of my soaps with no problems at all. Sure is alot cheaper and anything to avoid those darn shipping fees and a $$$$ works for me. :laugh2:

• 4 months later...

I was searching for threads already going about soybean oil and found this one. I have found a cheap supply of it at a local discount store and was wondering what it's good in? Is it light enough for salt & sugar scrubs? Or massage oils? That's the main things I'm thinking of using it for. I've seen it used in soap recipes but I'm not currently making lye soap (though I have and will again in the future; saw where someone mentioned it could sub for olive oil). Thanks!

Darbla

I have used it in my first few batches of sugar and salt scrubs. But I can not give a critique as to how well it is as the ONLY oil in a recipe. I combined mine with OO and/or SAO. But with the store bought soy oil being the major oil amount wise. In those combinations- it's on the heavy side. I think it's best in that case to have more of a dry scrub than you normally might with a lighter oil. My testers just don't like to get too oiled up even if it means nice after effects. I've had some say they wash up after they scrub up because they could still feel the oil. :confused: Kind of defeats the purpose. To me, that's called moisturization, lol. But if you aren't a mo ho and or aren't used to it, it can be a put off. Also, it doesn't rinse out of the shower as cleanly as the lighter oils. AND... it can make things like Jojoba beads and vanilla specks stick to you!!! (IPM would, if you have it, probably help a lot though) The other con is that it has more of a smell then most manufactured for cosmetic oils. Most fo's seem to cover it though. It certainly can be used for all kinds of B&B- it's just best to know what to expect and market it accordingly. I wouldn't use a soy oil based recipe as my only offering. I'd use it as my extra moisturizing alternative and make sure I had slippage warnings, etc, lol.