Painted Daisy Floater Bowl and Glass

i love it!! I'm still putzing around with my roses lol

I saw your pansies on the candle. I tried several months ago to paint on my candles but the paint peeled off. Is there something you put on the candle before you paint or do you just spray the candle when your done?:D

i love it!! I'm still putzing around with my roses lol

I saw your pansies on the candle. I tried several months ago to paint on my candles but the paint peeled off. Is there something you put on the candle before you paint or do you just spray the candle when your done?
:D

You use Candle Painting Medium

Thanks everyone, hope to get the floaters done up tomorrow and pour the glasses.

I find spraying a fine coat of matte varathane prior to painting, (wipe the candle down with alcohol first) works well to create a base for the acrylic paints. I use the same spray after to coat the finished product. I prefer to work on unfragranced candles when painting, the fragrance can interfer with the painting.

Candle mediums do work as well, although I find for any detailed work I don't like the mixture to work with. Sometimes it makes an even basecoat hard to achieve in my opinion, although some applications it works fine.

I have some water jugs to do up although these are not for anything candle related, I like painting on glass too!

Thanks again everyone.

Wendy

Sharyl.....buy lots and lots of books too? (smile)....Videos are a good thing. The rule of thumb sorta is.....you have to paint 100 roses until you get the hang of it......it is like everything else you and I have agreed on.....practice practice practice....but most people give up before they achieve their goal. If you want to paint like Wendy...be ready to practice because she good. Donita Louise

Donita, I think I went thru a roll of wax paper when I first got my Donna videos. My flowers were still crap. Guess it is time to get everything out and try again. Off to Food Lion to buy a case of wax paper. LOL

Sharyl......you know you can do it. Practice practice practice. I was so terrible that I was ashamed...hid out for a year....then it came to me...out of nowhere....the ability to paint a Donna Dewberry flower.....then I was hooked........ I taught my girlfriend and she painted little roses and vines around the doorway in her living room....little stools for her grandchildren....even on the grandchildren I believe (smile)....then I painted my kitchen cabinets lavender and painted purple roses and vines on them...it was pure insanity......Later I did paint over them and the kitchen as I left it was a muddled wine color sans the flowers.....I left all of my paints and brushes in Virginia.....lots of them....like really lots of them. I did order some paints the other day from Sunshine Discount Crafters and some filbert brushes for the way I like to paint now. I have (had) a spinner rack filled with every color of paint...and brushes......I don't want to talk about them anymore....I miss them. I had all of the Donna collection and they are gone. Life changes. I sprayed an orb last week with a base coat and am planning on painting something on it. Hope I can remember......:wink2: Have a nice day....Donita Louise

ps.....last year I posted my "how to paint Donna's flowers and how terrible I was".....Did you see it? I can send it to you if you want.

I schlepped back and forth to Michaels once a month for 2..2hour classes..I did it for 4 or 5 months and practiced in between. Michaels also carries the donna dewberry dvds which were really helpful. This year my entire christmas tree was pink and covered in roses...it's addictive once you get the first one right...leaves were my nemisis...take a chance..classes are inexpensive and because I was the only one who was signing up I got one on one teaching which was invaluable.

Sharyl....check you email. I just sent an album to you. I just found out that Yahoo is going to discontinue their albums so I have to transfer all of my tutorials and photo albums. I guess the new program Flickr....is better....but now I have to learn how to use it. I am going to send you some pictures of animals and let me know if you get that. Donita Louise

i had asked about painting on candles and someone said to try candle medium but i've discovered just by playing around that if you spray your candle first with candle glaze that you can paint on top of that without any drag of the paint. Then spray again with the glaze to seel it off.

I just painted a hurricane shell to try it out and it worked fine. Now i have to get batteries for my digital to take some photos and show you.

I have one large rose on one side, some wisteria, daisies and a humming bird on there with greens of course all over. I've done better work but i'm happy with it.

But anyone interested in painting on candles you don't need candle/soap medium. Just spray the item first with clear glaze.

I've painted soaps for years and did this so thought it couldn't hurt to do it on a candle and it worked.