Please explain how this is possible...

Okay, as some of you know, I've been having wick issues with my standard 8oz Jelly Jars. To keep from spending time boring you with details, I'll give the short version...

With regard to HTP wicks, I started out using an HTP83...got a whopping 1" MP, so I kept going down....still never got what I was looking for with the HTP's. Well, people still kept talking about using HTP104 in their jj's. But I wouldn't have dared considered using this one since the 83 was too large....

Well tonight I "grew a pair" and decided to try it just to humor myself...

Would you believe that after a 3-hour burn, I had the most beautiful MP I've ever seen??!! I didn't know whether to do a victory dance or shoot myself in the face for not trying this one sooner...:D

Now to the big question....How in the H-E-double-hockey-sticks did that happen? How is it that a wick two sizes up from the one that was giving me the large swimming pool in my candle was able to work perfectly?? I don't understand this, so I would love for you to explain it.

Even if you can't explain it, I just want you all to know that I'm happier than a pig in poop right now!!! I did it...I did it...I did it....*me doing my victory dance* *super banana* :whoohoo:

....one wick at a time for me! :D

Congratulations! Everything has to work in harmony, i.e., the wax, the Fo, the container and that one magic thing that brings them together ... the right wick.

This is how wicks burn...

They burn down and out. Some wicks burn down faster than they burn out, as you found out with the HTP83. The HTP104 burned out faster than it burned down, so it worked for your container & wax.

This wick may not work for heavy scents (vanilla's, etc.), so keep testing and good luck.

BTW - Not all wick types burn the same. If you try an LX wick, I find, the larger sizes burn down faster than they burn out, in my wax.

HTH Candle Man

I am so glad to see you post this candleman. You are describing exacly what my LX wicks have been doing and it was confusing me as to why.

I have been using CD wicks for the most part and testing other wicks but they aren't working so well and its been driving me NUTS.

Maybe I should just stick with my CD's and find the combinations that work with dye, scent and wax rather than trying to find a wick that might give me a better throw. My cd's burn out then down like you are describing.

Sheesh I hate this wicking thing, its making me have nightmares lol

This is how wicks burn...

They burn down and out. Some wicks burn down faster than they burn out, as you found out with the HTP83. The HTP104 burned out faster than it burned down, so it worked for your container & wax.

This wick may not work for heavy scents (vanilla's, etc.), so keep testing and good luck.

BTW - Not all wick types burn the same. If you try an LX wick, I find, the larger sizes burn down faster than they burn out, in my wax.

HTH Candle Man

Is there a chart that differentiates which wicks burn down or out faster?

I had the same thing happen to me and I was so confused that I didn't have the nerve to post my question. I just thought I had done something, some how wrong. I am so glad that you did and that Candleman responded.

Never be afraid to post a question on this board, regardless of how ridiculous you think it might be...it's how we all learn. There are numerous little people running around this board disguised as geniuses, such as Mr. Candleman, who are always willing to jump in and help explain things. :)

BTW, thanks Candleman! You cleared up my confusion...as I knew you would. :highfive:

Is there a chart that differentiates which wicks burn down or out faster?

No there isn't, and it would nearly be impossible. There are so many waxes, additives, colors & FO's out there, not all combonations will burn the same. Each ingredient is different and may require a different wick. So, the only way to know if a wick will work for your wax, is to test.

We use HTP 104 in our jelly, hex and square mason they have always work great for us in all of out scents.

And we use HTP 105 in our square masons because repeated testing gave us a shallower meltpool than the HTP 104s in accu-soy. Thanks to Candleman, at last an explanation!