More expensive=Better?

soycool

High priced oils doesn't necessarily mean best throw. I've tried several $26 a # oils, only to be not impressed with throw. Then I may try a $13 oil & it throws like crazy. You just have to test. I always thought if a fo was too cheap, it meant it was diluted, but that's not always the case. I think most of my oils are priced in the $15 to $20 range.

PamR

When you can just always be sure to purchase the smallest amount you can for your purposes for testing, if it doesn't make the cut, based on your standards don't purchase more. The higher the price doesn't mean it's better and a low price doesn't mean low quality.

A scent that throws weak for one person might not necessarily throw weak for another it may also depend on their formulas/applications. Best way to find quality oils is testing them. :)

Not always, you just have to find what works well in your wax. My advice would be to test samples from reputable suppliers ... if you're using soy, I would say to start with suppliers who test their fo's in soy. And lastly, check out suppliers and fo's on this board ... just ask, everyone will be happy to share their experience ... and, you can always do a search.

Thank you for honest imput. I have tried samples from 6 places at this point and have found some very nice fragrances, but without trying the more costly places I guess I was afraid I might be missing something. I did however go through a dud phase around Christmas and I think I got a little discouraged. You know changing wax looking for new suppliers, having doubts you know----- serious delima's HAHA :)

Thanks again

Natalie

Nope, higher price definitely doesn't equal better in some cases.

For instance, I have Coconut Lime Verbena from WSP (now $31.50/lb but I got it before their insane price increase so I think it was only in the mid-20's back then.) Anyway, I also have some from another supplier...ICS I believe...exactly the same for half the price. Profit margin...and let's not forget demand...prices tend to go up as the forum raves and demand increase...==

It always pays to test. You may find an $18 oil that is comparable to a $26 oil...ya never know. If you want unique/unusual with a bit more depth, those are usually worth the price for bath and body, but not necessarily candles. I seem to be in the minority, but candle-wise, I can't get away with lower usage rages with the $24-30/lb oils as much as others can. Then again, I have wax issues so maybe it's just me. :undecided

I have found some really great oils at The Candle Source that work great in Soy and Soy blends...there average cost per pound is about $14 and 1oz samples are only $1.25 so you just never know until you try! :cool2: