? about business/occupational license, etc.

How far into the game do you need to be before you get "legit" so to speak? Although I have only sold 5, yes, 5 items, my hubby thinks it is premature to get a business/occ. license, EIN number, insurance, tax info, etc. I am trying to make $$ for the long term care of our child with autism, and hubby doesn't want me to sink another dime into this deep red pit we are in until things start to sell.

I am lining up names of local businesses through contacts that might carry my products. I am wondering if they will say "no deal" if I don't have the proper papers, so to speak.

Any help is greatly appreciate.

I am in FL also. Brevard County. I had to get a resale license from the county and an occupational license. It was pretty cheap if I remember...$30 or $35. In FL, if you do more than 2 craft shows per year, you must charge and pay sales tax. Craft shows, Farmers Market, Flea Market organizers submit your info to the county when you complete the vendor application. I'm also incorporated and have an EIN number, insurance and all that good stuff. I think to Incorporate was around $120. I did the incorporation myself online at: http://www.sunbiz.org

HTH

IMO- You should be "legal" before you sell your first item. Normally it is against state guidelines to sell without a business license. I know that it is required here. Also, if you have any issues with your products due to lack of testing or unforeseen things (and trust me they come up) you will really be putting your neck on the chopping block without having insurance.

EIN- is not always necessary depending on your business. If you are a sole proprietor you can often use your SS# but you would need to check with an accountant.

HTH. Good luck.

Jennifer

I think you will need the appropriate paperwork if you are selling your products through stores. However there are certain types of craft shows which you could participate in, which may not require any license. An example is the holiday craft bazaars held annually in my area. They are made up mainly of local residents who knit things such as scarves and hats throughout the year, and then selling them at these venues.