Looking for a great moisterizing CP recipe

littysmom

If you send me a PM with what oils you have, I'll be happy to help you formulate a good recipe.

e

Eugenia, helped me with one of my recipes and I absolutely loved what she told me to do. So I would pm her with your recipe and yes, add lard to one of your recipes. If you don't mind it being in your soap. I love it in soaps..

Eugenia, helped me with one of my recipes and I absolutely loved what she told me to do. So I would pm her with your recipe and yes, add lard to one of your recipes. If you don't mind it being in your soap. I love it in soaps..

LOL, she did. This is what I came up with for her:

10% Coconut

15% PKO

5% Mango or Shea Butters

20% Lard

5% Castor Oil

15% Avocado

30% Olive

Conditioning is 57 and the overall iodine is 60 so it should be nice and hard.

Conditioning is 57 and the overall iodine is 60 so it should be nice and hard.

The explanations I've seen suggest that lower iodine means a harder bar and higher iodine makes a more conditioning bar. But I don't understand how to interpret the numbers in relation to each other. Sometimes they seem to contradict. For example, here are the Soapcalc numbers for your recipe (top line) and the next soap I plan to make. How would you expect these two to differ?

Hardness: 37 Conditioning: 57 Iodine: 60 INS: 139

Hardness: 41 Conditioning: 57 Ionine: 72 INS: 146

The explanations I've seen suggest that lower iodine means a harder bar and higher iodine makes a more conditioning bar. But I don't understand how to interpret the numbers in relation to each other. Sometimes they seem to contradict. For example, here are the Soapcalc numbers for your recipe (top line) and the next soap I plan to make. How would you expect these two to differ?

Hardness: 37 Conditioning: 57 Iodine: 60 INS: 139

Hardness: 41 Conditioning: 57 Ionine: 72 INS: 146

When I look at Eugenia recipe, she keeps her total of Coconut and PKO to only around 25% which these two oils are usually used to create the hardness of a bar. But her high addition of lard helps make up for the low Coconut and PKO in hardness, yet keeps the cleansing numbers low. She chooses soft oils that are highly conditioning, yet create a hard bar as well. Throw in a little shea butter and castor for silkiness and you’ve got a kicken bar.

I would be curious to see the cleansing number of your bar Top to see what the difference is there.

Here is the recipe I use which has the exact same conditioning and iodine numbers as Eugenia. (i make 36 oil batches so thats why the percentages look strange)

Canola 15.67%

Castor 8.34%

Coconut 19.44%

Olive 22.22%

Palm 11.11%

PKO 11.11%

Shea Butter 11.11%

Hardness 38

Cleansing 20

Conditioning 57

Bubbly Lather 27

Creamy lather 26

Iodine 60

INS 141

Throw in a little shea butter and castor for silkiness and you’ve got a kicken bar.

I am with you 100%. There are a few things that are in every standard recipe for me, butter (5-10%), castor (5-10%) and babassu (5%). Even though the percentages are low, the qualities they add to the soap are huge!

Carrie, funny how the numbers are so close! Your recipe looks very nice.

I am with you 100%. There are a few things that are in every standard recipe for me, butter (5-10%), castor (5-10%) and babassu (5%). Even though the percentages are low, the qualities they add to the soap are huge!

Carrie, funny how the numbers are so close! Your recipe looks very nice.

I know, isnt it strange how the possibilities are endless with that soapcalc.

Here is an easy, basic recipe- this makes a creamy, moisturizing bar.

Grocery store staples rock in soap! You can take the Mango butter down to 5% to be more cost effective, but I love me some Mango. :grin2:

Mango Butter- 10%

Crisco- 15%

Babussu- 5%

PKO- 10%

Coconut 76- 15%

Rice Bran- 15%

Olive Oil- 5%

Castor Oil- 10%

Lard- 15%

Hardness- 43

Cleansing- 20

Conditioning- 52

Bubbly lather- 29

Creamy lather- 32

Iodine- 61

INS- 147

I add 1T pp of sugar and 1t pp of salt to the distilled water prior to adding the lye.

After I add the lye, I throw in a pinch of silk. Gives you nice, silky bubbles.

It's more fun not to get feedback on the oils before I just try them and see what happens. However here are the SoapCalc numbers for the recipe.

Hardness: 41

Cleansing: 19

Conditioning: 57

Bubbly: 19

Creamy: 22

Iodine: 72

INS: 146

These numbers look good to me. The lather values are a bit lower than I normally go, but the proof of the puddin' is in the final bar when it's gotten a good cure time under its belt and you're lathering that bad boy up in the shower. :D With a long enough cure time, doggone nearly everything lathers great. lol

ETA: You can boost lather with coconut, but that will likely lower your conditioning value and make your cleansing value higher. Without seeing your recipe, it's hard to judge -- but you could also add castor at 5-10% and see what that does for your lather. You'll sacrifice a bit in the bar hardness dept. that way, but you'll gain lather and conditioning values with castor. It's a give and take situation. hth

Thanks for all of your helpful input. They sound great! I hear alot about babbaso oil. What is a good substitute for if you don't have it. I must really get some and try it! Hope that someone will do a oils coop with that included.

This is another recipe with less ingredients. I made this as an experiment for my ultra dry skin, and it is really nice. Needs a good cure, at least 6-9 weeks IMO. Gentle on the skin and very moisturizing. I am not big on high Olive oil percentage recipes because I hate the slime, snot factor they create. But this one didn't come out that way in my experience. I am going to tweak it a bit further and market it with no fragrance for sensitive, dry skin and babies.

I would suggest leaving it in the mold for at least 2 days and then another couple of days to air dry before cutting to get a clean, uniform cut without drama.

Olive Oil- 55%

Shea Butter- 10%

PKO- 15%

Babussu- 10%

Castor- 10%

Hardness 32

Cleansing 16

Condition 65

Creamy 25

Bubbly 25

Iodine 64

INS 132

Same additions as the other recipe I posted. I never soap without them.

You can boost lather with coconut, but that will likely lower your conditioning value and make your cleansing value higher. Without seeing your recipe, it's hard to judge -- but you could also add castor at 5-10% and see what that does for your lather. You'll sacrifice a bit in the bar hardness dept. that way, but you'll gain lather and conditioning values with castor. It's a give and take situation. hth

On paper this recipe lends itself to some nice looking variations. It just has a few adventurous twists that I have to test out and see how they work. The numbers I showed you will be for a conditioning scrubby bar with an exotic oil as a gimmick. The lather numbers are OK with me for that. Mostly I wanted the good conditioning in hard bar with fairly balanced qualities. If it makes good soap, I have this variation on the drawing board along the lines you suggested.

Hardness: 38

Conditioning: 59

Bubbly: 28

Creamy: 28

Iodine: 73

INS: 145

On paper this recipe lends itself to some nice looking variations. It just has a few adventurous twists that I have to test out and see how they work. The numbers I showed you will be for a conditioning scrubby bar with an exotic oil as a gimmick. The lather numbers are OK with me for that. Mostly I wanted the good conditioning in hard bar with fairly balanced qualities. If it makes good soap, I have this variation on the drawing board along the lines you suggested.

Hardness: 38

Conditioning: 59

Bubbly: 28

Creamy: 28

Iodine: 73

INS: 145

These numbers look great. I'd give that pup a whirl, and shoot fellow CT'er AJ a bar just to be sure it's OK. :laugh2:

And on the bar hardness thing? I've found that with a good long cure time, almost any CP recipe eventually gets rock hard. Helps speed things along if you live in a non-humid climate (no luck on that score here -- LOL).